Sunday, June 6, 2021

GOD'S REMINDERS

 A leisurely Sunday morning felt good after the full workday yesterday. I was actually surprised that my back isn't sore like it felt it would be last night.   I got chores done this morning and then had breakfast before gathering lettuce and onions for our first wilted lettuce salad of the season. We are also having chipped beef in gravy , corn, green beans and biscuits, with iced tea to drink and a keylime pie for dessert.   Everyone made it to lunch except daughter's family who are on their way back from watching one of son-in-love's nieces graduate high school yesterday, congrats to Karley !!!   

 After we ate #2 son and d-in-love-Tif walked around the farm and checked the garden out.  Everyone left and hubbie and I relaxed in the covered patio .  IR called and asked to come over for a while so daughter brought had and CA over to play outside  to finish out the afternoon.  After they left I got chores done and then watered some in the garden.  I remembered to take late garden pics for June this evening. I usually do this on the first day of the month but here is our garden a week late.                         First is winter squash that haven't come up yet, then a row of different types of pole beans, then tomatoes start.

After the tomatoes are peppers of all types in two rows, followed by a row of new types of bush beans, then my bush beans for dilly beans, followed by a row of sparsely coming up cucumbers and squash , last row before the potatoes is a row of half runner pole beans.

A better view of the half runner pole beans that came up sparsely and were replanted last Monday then the huge potato vines . These potatoes are very tall, above my waist and I am about 5'5" tall.



After the potato patch is a row of onions, then another row of half runner beans that also came up sparsely and was replanted last Monday, then a row of okra that I planted last Monday, a row of  cucumbers and squash that was replanted last Monday right before the pea row.

After the sugar snap pea row is the broccoli and cabbage and some late tomatoes, last row is my brussel sprout plants and more late tomatoes. 

So far this year has been a challenging gardening year as proved by the sparsely coming up vegetables but I am going to continue to replant these until my seeds are gone hoping to get at least some canning done this year.     This is a new bed I made that contains some Candy roaster plants.

This is my leaf lettuce bed that has done fantastic with me watering it regularly.

This bed of asparagus didn't do well this year in the funky weather and bolted quickly.

I moved on to the surprising fruits around the farm. After the late cold temps I was afraid I had lost most of my fruit but nature is an amazing thing always and these blackberries look like they will have a bumper crop.

The most amazing thing is these grape vines. If you remember us covering these up and being so disappointed when we pulled the covers off finding this I marked these off my this years crops to harvest.


This was what these same vines looked like on April 23rd after an overnight freeze.

But just look at them now, we may not get a full harvest but there is a lot of grapes back on these recovered vines.                                                                                                                                        The blueberries we covered survived completely also making the extra work we went to covering them worth it.

And even this Kiefer pear tree is loaded with fruit , some of which has visible damage but will be good for jam.

Another amazing recovery had nothing to do with the weather but with large tree pieces being slammed down on it is these Hosta and daylillies that have recovered completely from being driven in the ground by the falling tree trunk pieces.

This is what these looked like about a month ago.

Nature proves it's resilience time and time again which shows the power of the hand of God in all His creations. The ability to bounce back from adversity comes natural to all things in nature and I strive to be more like this since God also created me and gave me the ability to deal with adversity just as He did all His creations.

Thankful for the blessings of this day and the reminders of His Love that are all around us.

God Bless and Good Night

No comments: