Saturday, August 15, 2020

RAINY DAY TOMATO CANNING

 Saturday mornings lately are usually pretty calm and slow but today I have a cake delivery at 10am and the skies are very dark and looking like it will rain any minute so my steps are a bit quicker on this Saturday.                                                                                                                                                              I got chores done and grabbed a cup of coffee and a protein bar for breakfast before we headed out to meet the cake customer. After we met her hubbie and I dawned our face mask and headed into Ingles in a downpour of rain while there were not very many customers there to look for a couple things.  To my surprise we saw only 2 young women that weren't wearing facemask which is encouraging that most folks are now having enough respect for their fellow man to wear facemask to hopefully help to contain this virus.                                                                                                                                                                   We came home and in a break from the hard rains we headed up to the garden where we picked all these vegetables before all this rain manages to cause more rot and insect problems than we already have.         

  I went ahead and pulled all my spaghetti squash, well all but a couple that were obviously not ready because on the bottom of one of them I found where a snail had started eating into the hull. Maybe by harvesting them now I can save them. Daughter pulled one last week and said it was ready and very good.  I planted 2 different varieties this year to compare the taste and texture.                                         
       We picked half runner beans for tomorrow's lunch and I noticed all these blooms still on the vines meaning we will continue to have fresh beans for a while .                                  
    We also have some of our recently planted fall vegetables starting to come up in the garden and in the cattle feed bunk feeder.


    The rain started again so we headed inside to have lunch. After we ate hubbie went up to his shop and I got started making another run of pasta sauce out of the tomatoes that have been ripening on the sunroom table.
Seven more quarts to add to the winter supply.
 While I worked the rain continued heavy at times with thunder and lightening. It is a perfect day to be inside the warm kitchen.
Thankfully by choretime the rain had slacked off and the sun was trying to dry things out. 
After we had a light dinner and then watched the sunset with a hot cup of tea I headed back to the kitchen to make my first run of salsa for the year from all the Roma tomatoes we have picked.


   This salsa turned out so thick and good after adding a couple extra large bell peppers d-in-love picked up for me today when her and RL went to Brevard to the plant nursery / produce stand , she also brought me 4 pretty mums to add some color to my yard for the fall season. Thanks d-in-love !!
By the time I finished getting the salsa out of the canners it was almost midnight so I headed for bed to put a heating pad on my screaming back muscles.
Thankful for the blessings of this day and for the blessing of being able to grow our own food.
God Bless and Good Night                       

No comments: