Thursday, August 20, 2020

TOMATO CANNING DAY

 IR was my wake up call early this morning after she and CA arrived. RL is with her other g-ma today.     I got another earlier wake up call telling me my Sam's Club order was ready for pick-up also. So I got dressed and headed out to Sam's first. It only took 8 minutes today for them to get my order from when I checked in so that is so much better than when they first started doing this.  I got all my items except one and it is being shipped .  Back home hubbie and IR helped carry things inside and then I went up to get chores done.                                                                                                                                           It is a very cloudy, cool morning for md August and things are starting to look a little like Fall is closer than it should be !!                                                                                                                                        When I came back inside IR had a surprise to show me. She has been busy already this morning building a bigger tower.                                                                                                                                                    

 
After I fixed myself an egg and salsa omelet for breakfast I got started on this mountain of tomatoes that have been ripening out in the sunroom for a several days.                                                                     

In the middle of blanching the tomatoes #2 son called hubbie to come take him to the auto parts store, he had changed his oil but stripped the old oil pan plug so he called around and found one for his old 1996 Ford pick-up but needed a ride to go pick it up since Tif was working today. CA needed a nap so hubbie took the girls and went over to pick him up.                                                                                     I had one water bath canner going and was just putting the last jars in the other one by the time they got home. While the tomatoes water bathed for 45 minutes we had lunch.  I had made some roasted okra fries for lunch to go with tomatoes and biscuits.                                                                                              
When the canner were emptied I had 14 quarts of tomatoes for the winter pantry.  I dug up all my wide mouthed jars this morning since I found some old wide mouth lids I had bought several years ago to use since we have not been fortunate enough to find any more canning lids. I guess with all the extra folks growing gardens this year there is a much higher demand for these and all the store shelves are empty.
I played with CA and IR until daughter came in to pick them up.  After they all left hubbie and I went to Sav Mor grocery store as I was in there yesterday looking for lids and saw that they did have some small canning jars with lids for sale. The price on these jars and lids was less than most places want for just lid flats right now so I hoped they were still there. Thankfully it was even better when I got there and they had some half pint sized jars which were bigger than the 4 ounce ones I saw yesterday. They only had 2 dozen so I got them as I need to make more apple jelly so I can use this sized jar for that.       Unfortunately this is the same as with any shortage of products some people are buying these up and reselling them at 4 times the store price for profit so that is adding to the problem.
Anyway I am just thankful to have found these so I can continue to put up my garden produce to help feed my family this winter.                                                                                                                            I layed out all the tomatoes I picked from the garden yesterday and the table is filled back up waiting for the next salsa making day.  My back is screaming after this mornings canning so I will have to give it a rest before tackling anymore canning.                                                                                                     
All these Roma tomatoes will make great thick salsa !!                                                                                We picked out Walmart curbside order up this evening so we are stocked up for a while now. With all the kids here everyday it is amazing how much more food we go through but I love to see them eat.
We got evening chores done and then sat outside for a while. The clouds have hung around all day with a few peeks of sunshine and the predictions are for the rain early in the morning now so glad we got all our running around in today.                                                                                                                          Thankful for the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night

No comments: