Sunday, August 12, 2018

A VERY LONG DAY but FINALLY HOME

Boy was I ever glad to see lights and land coming into view around 3am today out my plane window.
We got off the plane and went straight to the United airlines customer service area only to have one of their employees stop us and put a closed sign rope up in front of us. Just us were left behind the rope as we were the last ones off the plane and everyone else was getting waited on. I loudly explained this to her that surely someone could see their way to helping us if they helped everyone else on the same plane. She told me another crew would be in at 4am and they could help us.
We stood in disbelief that they would do this and I said we aren't leaving this area until all the employees left because out of the 6 workers behind the desk surely at least one of them would have some compassion and not turn just us away.
Sure enough their was a man who motioned for us to come on over and printed our tickets for the plane seats this afternoon for us. He checked everything else and there was so many delays today their wasn't anything else coming to our area. He said we were very lucky to have gotten these seat because for everyone else headed our way it would be Monday of maybe even Tuesday to catch a flight.
He didn't have any pillows or blankets left to give us but did give each of us $30 in food vouchers.
We settled in to try and get at least some cat naps in. The carpeted part of the airport was already filled with sleeping travelers.


We couldn't lay on the cold tile floors and all the chairs were screwed to the floor so they couldn't be moved so we tried various sleeping positions but didn't get much sleep at all. I kept thinking to myself that even a couple months ago if you had told me I would ever be sleeping in an airport I would not have believed you but, here I am !!!!!!!


This was a very large airport and parts of it looked more like a shopping mall.

It was a very long night and early morning for all of us.  Hubbie went to get some breakfast and the only thing that was open was a Dunkin Donuts so we all had coffee and donuts for breakfast. Not a smart move for me to have that much sugar on an entirely empty stomach because I felt nauseous for several hours. I walked and walked and finally was able to sit back down and take another short nap which made me feel much better.
As morning broke we noticed we could see the Freedom Tower in New York City through the fog.


All of us napped off and on all day while waiting for 2:30 to roll around.
Finally we were on a United Airbus which is the biggest plane we have flown on yet.


We all had different area seats but we just wanted to get home and were very thankful it was only a 1.5 hour flight.
Daughter and d-in-love went to Greenville, SC today to a kids clothing sale and picked up my Honda on their way back.
Daughter picked us up at the airport after Tif and son filed for their lost luggage which never got on the plane with us. Son's bag made it to Greenville on an earlier flight and Tif's bag was still in New Jersey.
It was so good to be able to see everyone when we got home and hand out the things we brought them.
After everyone left hubbie and I did chores and then took baths and went to bed. It felt so good to be able to lay down and sleep.
Even with this 2 day airport ordeal I still am so glad we decided to go on this trip and I am still in disbelief of the beauty of Montana.
Thankful for all the blessings along the way and for God's peace and grace in my heart through all this.
God Bless and Good Night

No comments: