Friday, August 17, 2018

BAKING CANNING FRIDAY

Up to greet just IR this morning as RL's family is at the lake for the weekend.
I did chores while hubbie got breakfast for him and IR.  I had my oatmeal when I got back inside.
After we ate hubbie played with g-daughter IR while I baked 6 caramel cakes. I have a light baking load today because it was so slow yesterday I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow and there is a prediction of rain which will dampen customer numbers for sure.
After I baked I started on the basket of tomatoes that hubbie gathered Monday. I originally had 7 quarts but as you can see from the mess inside the water bath canner one of the jars broke in the processing spilling it's contents .
These 6 quarts survived and looked very good without the tomatoes even rising in the jars.

IR went down for a nap and hubbie had went back to the garden and picked a basket of the Roma tomatoes and peppers for salsa making.
I washed them and got them ready to turn into salsa then hubbie and I decided to go up to the garden and pick the green beans because it looked like it was going to rain any minute.
I picked beans while he took care of IR but the rain came stopping me before I got even 1/2 the row picked.
We thought it was just going to be a quick shower but it pretty much set in for the afternoon.
Daughter got off work early and picked up IR so they could get an earlier start to Pidgeon Forge with son-in-love's family for the weekend. They wanted to get through Asheville before the rush hour at 5:00 crowded all the roads. Friday's are always the worse traffic days through that area.
I made the salsa and had 8 pints and 1 half pint plus a bowl to enjoy. It was very good salsa.
I didn't have any onions to add to it but it taste really good and is pretty hot with the hot banana peppers I added.
While I was making the salsa d-in-love who had to come back from the lake to have g-son at soccer practice at 3:30 called to say the air conditioning in the camper they had borrowed wasn't working.
She was buying a used free standing unit from a house on the other side of town and asked hubbie to go with her to pick it up.
She said the weather at the lake has been really nice and she sent these picks of the kids having fun with their friends that went with them. They also borrowed a pontoon boat from d-in-love's mom's b-friend to use at lake Hartwell where they were camping.





Daughter texted me at 6:00 to let me know they made it to Pidgeon Forge thankfully. They had stopped for supper and discovered g-daughter IR has a new favorite food, corn on the cob !!!

After I got the canning supplies all washed up it was chore time and thankfully the rain had stopped.
After chores we decided to go ahead and pick the green beans. We picked 2 baskets from the half runners and 1 big basket full from the greasy back beans.
We thought the half runners would be done by the time the greasy beans came in but now we have both so I see more green bean canning in my near future !!!
The clouds made a pretty evening sky tonight.
There was only 2/10ths inch of rain from the afternoon showers in the gauge this evening but the heaviest rain is coming overnight into tomorrow.
I spent the evening  icing my cakes and getting things ready for market.
Thankful for the wonderful blessed day and thankful for my health as I am able to work like I have today.
God Bless and Good Night.



No comments: