Wednesday, August 1, 2018

RAIN WELCOMES AUGUST

Woke to a really dreary cloudy morning today. I got out and got chores done before the rain moved in thankfully.
Hubbie and I had some errands to run this morning so we went on early in hopes that the light rain that was already falling wouldn't get heavier until after lunch as predicted.
We got all our stops made and made it home for an early lunch. I love to get fresh food straight from the garden and especially on a nasty cool rainy day these fresh zucchini and pepper taste so good heated up.
Our garden is really doing well this year in spite of the drought we have had lately. I made these pics yesterday while the sun was still shining. 
We have some surprise pumpkins that are looking good but were definitely not what we planted.
Hubbie's cantelopes vines are looking good.
Finally those great tasting garden ripened tomatoes are plentiful.

After lunch hubbie went up to his shop to work and I got my baking started. I baked 12 caramel, 3 chocolate, 4 pound cakes, 1 angel food cake and 1 pan of brownies by 3:00.
When hubbie came back inside he laughed and took this picture of me at the stove. I told him some days I just need a little more "bracing" than others !!!!
I had a big bowl of tomatoes setting on the table so with hubbie's help scalding and peeling them I canned 6 quarts and 1 pint of deliciousness .

When this was finished I had about an hour to put my feet up and rest before chore time.
The rain has gotten heavier as the afternoon has wore on and as I lay on the couch and watched out the window it looked like the same type of rain that comes when a hurricane moves through our area. It seemed to be raining in bands, some heavier than others.
At chore time it was still raining pretty hard and all the animals looked pretty miserable but were happy to have the before bedtime snack.
When we got back inside I had to make another trip out to Ingles to get more butter for my icings.
There was 1.70 inches in the rain gauge this evening and the rain has gotten heavier throughout the evening.
I did weekly paperwork and then finished the day in the kitchen icing cakes and getting things ready for market. Hubbie had to stay up with me to get things loaded tonight while the rain has slacked since he is managing market again tomorrow.
Thankful for the thirst quenching rain and all the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night


No comments: