Friday, August 13, 2021

GARDEN UPDATE

 Up to all 3 grand girls here early this morning as both daughter and d-in-love-A went back to their regular schedule school days today.  Thankfully I slept well most of the night only waking a few times when I guess I moved wrong and made my knee hurt and wake me up but thankfully I was always able to find a position to ease the pain and was able to go back to sleep. My knee feels a little stronger this morning also and the swelling is down some but still not enough to completely let it bend to a 90 degree angle when I sit down.  I am thankful for any small improvement though.   I went out alone to get chores done and then had breakfast with the girls.  I had to make a cake delivery for daughter at 11:00 and both customers were on time so that was good. When I got back RL and IR were eating lunch as they were hungry early. CA hasn't had much of an appetite all week for some reason and only had a couple slices of cheese and a piece of toast.  RL had mac and chees and IR had scrambled eggs.  Hubbie and I had a salad and then I took all the zucchini slices out of the dehydrator and cleaned it up. I got a quart of chips but they are very spicy. Guess I shouldn't have put that much chili powder on them !!  They will still make a good healthy snack you just have to have some drink near by !!

We played with the girls for a while in the playroom as it is a very hot 90 degree humid day outside. Storms are building all around.  I iced the 3 caramel cakes and went to deliver one at 3:00 and got wet in a thunder storm when the customer was running late and then wouldn't get out of her car.  Anyway I didn't melt and I made it home in a downpour that stopped just before I got to the house. It did rain but only about 1/4 inch here without the wind thunder and lightening that was happening just out the road.   We watched TV with the girls until daughter and #1 son came to pick them up.    After the girls left hubbie and I both napped which probably wasn't a good thing but I am worn out each evening from the extra effort I'm using with the sore knee and hubbie can always nap.  Hopefully I will be able to go to sleep tonight.  I got chores done while hubbie sprayed a fungicide on the garden before all the rain that is predicted gets here.  Then we both took a nice break out in the covered patio.  While I waited for the chickens to go to roost in their houses I made garden update pics of our garden. 
This is my acorn and spaghetti squash before the dried bean trellis. The beans are starting to dry on the vines nicely.
Some of the tomatoes are starting to show signs of stress because of drought but are all still producing.
Next is these 2 rows of peppers.  The bell peppers are still slow to produce but have been keeping up with my canning while the hot banana row of peppers has just shown off this year with 3 pickings already.
This is the space where the bush beans were and there is still some Dragon Tongue beans drying in the back and these early cucumbers are on their last leg but the squash in the back are still doing well as the row of half runner beans are producing again since the rains have started.
This is our potato patch which we allowed to get a weed covering to keep the rain from washing the soil off the potatoes and exposing them to the sun which turns them green.
We planted a row of Kale here that hopefully will come up now with the recent rains and then another row of half runner beans that are producing again.

The okra row and these late cucumbers are thriving and producing .
Last in the garden are the brussell sprouts and late tomatoes that we are waiting to see what we get from them. Also the squash here are still producing nicely.
As you can see the weeds and grass have gotten ahead of us which always happens this time of year when we get busy with the harvest and preserving the vegetables but at least we still can get to all the vegetables.  
Also this bed of new cabbage and broccoli plants for transplanting into the fall garden is doing really well.
And these 3 Pink Banana squash vines that are growing out of this old bath tub  are loaded with blooms and squash.

That is a mid August garden report for this year.  Thankfully we have had a very good garden year this year but it has been a real battle with pest. It seems hubbie is spraying something about everyday to ward off all the bugs that cause various damage to the vegetables. We strive to treat with all organic sprays but did have to resort to some liquid sevin this season to save our cucumbers and squash from a major attack of squash beetles that burrow into the vines and cause a bacterial wilt that kills vines in a matter of hours. 
Thankful for a nice relaxing evening that I have no knee pain for the first time in the nights since I fell.
Thankful for the blessings of the day.
God Bless and Good Night
 









No comments: