Wednesday, May 30, 2018

MORE RAIN MORE FLOODING

With numerous roads closed and damaged this morning school was put on a 2-hour delay. This is a good thing so that it will be after daylight when the buses get out on the roads. I don't think I've ever seen the list of closed roads so long for our county. It isn't just flood waters but mudslides,sink holes and fallen trees in the roads.
D-in-love's mom lives in Rutherford county which is another really badly damaged county so she is afraid to attempt the trip up here today so RL is coming here on this Wednesday along with IR.
I got chores done and noticed the flood water in the bottoms was going down quickly as if something broke loose down stream.
With rain still falling we had to come up with some rainy day inside activities for RL while I got my baking done.
She positioned her little desk right beside me in the kitchen and colored between helping me count eggs as I cracked them into the mixer. I baked 6 caramel, 4 chocolate, 4 pound, 1 blackberry and 1 pan of brownies before cabin fever got the best of both girls.
With a short break in the rain we went out on the porch and covered patio. RL stayed with Meow Meow and IR wanted to swing.
Once the rain started back we headed back inside. #1 son got run out of work again and picked up RL right after lunch.
IR went down for a nap and hubbie and I watched the rain and wondered how much more water we were going to get.
This month of May 2018 now holds the all time record for most rainfall in a month .
The official measurement station is located at the Asheville airport and is much less than most areas around here. 
Our Henderson county leads with  over 21 inches just since May 15th !!!
Don't know how our garden is going to survive all this standing water for days.
The cherry crop is ruined.

Many towns are flooded today and many businesses have flooded  multiple times recently.
This is the town of Chimney Rock which is totally closed by water and mudslides along highway 64.
The town of Saluda is flooded.

Biltmore village in Asheville has been over run with the flooding Swannanoa River.
And the south end of Hendersonville has flooded multiple times over the last couple weeks each time there is a heavy downpour of any significance .
A DOT dump truck slid off in a creek after trying to dump a load of rocks.

Many bridges are completely gone, stranding many folks until waters go down enough to even walk out.
I'm not complaining about our minor inconveniences here with so many folks suffering so much devastating damage and loss.
As I got my raincoat on this evening to go get chores done I thought about when the last chore time was that I didn't need this coat.
I came inside and started icing cakes with a thankful heart that we have maintained out electricity all through this storm so far.
I got things ready for market and got into bed about midnight as usual on market evenings.
Praying for all the folks in harms way tonight and thankful that we have been so blessed through this weather.
God Bless and Good Night.







No comments: