Friday, July 30, 2021

CORN FRIDAY

 Up early to get chores done and have breakfast with IR and CA who are here while their mom meets with her insurance agent. I left at 9:45 to drive to Asheville for my annual OBGYN appointment. I really like my doctor but still got almost sick driving over there. I have such bad cases of "white coat syndrone" even with this doctor who is like an old friend. I figured my blood pressure would be out the roof but surprisingly it was 124/78 which is about normal for me.  The exam went well and I was on my way home in about an hour . I got home just in time for lunch with daughter and the girls.  After we ate we headed over to the corn field to gather our season's corn. IR loved gathering corn.



CA helped by filling the bags for us.

Farming is lots more fun with helpers like these two.


We came home and parked the truck in the shade of the barn  to shuck the corn. I had to make a cake delivery before I could help with the corn shucking. As I waited on my customer the Ring camera went off and I looked to find these two 4-wheeling around the driveway in their jeep.
When I got home we all shucked corn with sweat dripping off our chins in another 90 degree afternoon even in the shade but IR hung in there until all the corn was shucked.





                                        
Daughter took the girls home for naps and hubbie and I sat up our corn fixin stages.
It is shady and a cool breeze is blowing this afternoon so we decided to get at least some of it put in the freezer.  We are putting up on the cob corn this year only because we have cut off corn left from last year.  We took breaks for chores and then had to run to Walmart for more food vacuum bags but we ended up finishing around 7:30 and had it all in the freezer. I didn't get a picture and I lost count of the bags but we think we put up about 55 bags of 5 ears each for our winter meals. The kids all love corn on the cob and we ran out of it last year but I don't remember how many bags we put up.
Thankful for the garden bounty we are experiencing this year and thankful for the ability to put away food for later that I know exactly who has handled it.
I am very tired tonight and my back muscles are screaming loudly but I still had to ice 2 chocolate cakes and get them ready to be delivered tomorrow.  I finished the evening with a heating pad on my back for a while before bed time.
Thankful for the wonderful blessings of this day and praying for family and friends with the covid virus.
God Bless and Good Night





No comments: