Saturday, February 1, 2014


Market was a little better today but not what I expected. However the temperature this morning was not what me or the weather wizard either were expecting !!   It was 20 degrees still at  8am with the sun shinning on the thermometer.
The upper side of the market parking lot was a solid sheet of ice with snow on top when we arrived this morning. It was roped off with caution tape to prevent someone from falling.
I usually park in this area but today parked in the back lot and hubbie carried my things across the icey sidewalk.
My guess is when some folks driving down the street saw the caution tape they figured we were closed because this is the only part of the parking lot you can see from the road. I am thankful for a better sales day than any other in January.
I stopped at Ingles on the way home to pick up ingredients for a seven layer salad for tomorrow's lunch.
Hubbie had finished watching the UNC/ NC State basket ball game which UNC won when I got home. After we unloaded and got things put away I put a heating pad on my back for awhile. I have no idea why my lower back on one side is so achy today.
As I sat out in the sunroom with the heated massager on my back I saw this Robin hopping around in the back yard under the feeders and wondered if this might be a sign of spring ???
These guys never come this close to my feeders . They usually stay deep in the woods during winter and emerge in spring around the garden and upper lawn.  Maybe they are running out of food in the woods this year. Or maybe this 52 degree afternoon fooled them ?
After chores and supper hubbie and I watched the Duke/ Syracuse basketball game which Syracuse won in OT.  It was one of the best games I have ever seen.
I made my seven layer salad and put it away for tomorrow's lunch.   We also put the roast in the crock pot.  We take it out of the freezer, wrap it in foil and place it in the crock pot on low still frozen. We let it cook all night then early in the morning we take it out of the foil and season it and let it cook still on low until lunchtime.  It is very tender and delicious this way.
I also found some fresh half-runner beans at Ingles so I am looking forward to lunch tomorrow.
Daughter called a couple times today from the volleyball tournament she was coaching in and said her team was doing very well and won their pool but lost in the finals.
Grateful to God tonight for the love and blessings of this day.
Good Night and God Bless.


Sandy said...

Carolina Nana,

The heating pad is always in both my husbands and my chairs during the winter. We always have them going to help warm up the body and to help when there's pain. You may have been exposed to a breeze on this part of your lower back causing the pain. I hope your back feels better tomorrow.

I learned something new about roasts tonight after reading your post. I never heard about placing the roast in tinfoil in the pot to thaw and cook at the same time.

linda m said...

Hope your back feels better today. The pot roast sounds so yummy. I'll have to try that idea sometime. Blessings

Betsy Adams said...

Hi, I'm watching the Big Super Bowl game AND the commercials with one eye --and blogging with the other. The lady who sang the National Anthem was AWESOME, best I've heard that song sung in YEARS... Wow!!!!

I've never heard of cooking a roast like that.. Looks so simple... Thanks.

Rainy and warm here today--but the cold temps are coming back.
Hope your back is better soon.