Saturday, March 13, 2021

FIRST GARDEN SEEDS OF 2021 PLANTED

 A dreary cloudy morning to get this weekend started was what we woke up to today. I got chores done and had a nice leisurely breakfast. Hubbie went up to work in his wood pile and I got my potting soil out and all my milk cartons I have been saving and proceeded to get the first garden plants of 2021 started. I had to move the wheel borrow inside the basement when the rain started just before noon.

After getting lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes planted and my back screaming at me I stopped for the day.

For now I left the plants in the basement but I will move them probably up to the sunroom where I can run the heater at night and keep the soil temperature up since we aren't having a fire in the wood stove right now.
Hubbie came in from his work and we grilled some hamburgers for lunch and then rested both out backs for a while.
Before chores I walked around noticing what was budding out and blooming already. Hopefully we won't have to much cold weather since some of the fruits are really budding out already.  These Blueberry bushes are covered with green buds.
As are the pear trees.
The blackberries are sprouting leaves already.

As for the bloomers it is looking more and more springy around here each day with all the colors.
The first fragrant hyacinths are blooming now.
And my favorite Daffodils are bursting into bloom with this warmer weather.
This patch of Daffodils are still showing off even through some of the earlier cold temps.
The Forsythia is starting to put out it's pretty yellow blooms.
The Hosta and Iris is shooting it's first bright green leaves up.

It is good to know that several of my potted herbs are starting to come back after the winter. This Mountain Mint and Sage in this pot are both making a come back.
The Lavender is looking good.
This bunch of Chives is ready for some  potato salad flavoring.
My Rosemary and Thyme in this pot are greening back up.
We are still enjoying the bounty of Chard , Kale, Spinach, Carrots and Bok Choi from this fall planted bed that I have kept covered with plastic and blankets on the really cold nights.

The broccoli planted in this plastic covered row in the garden is still providing us with fresh broccoli as it keeps sprouting the mini heads all around.
And we experimented with this patch of Kale and Collard greens to see if they could survive our winter without any protection and although a couple times it looked like they weren't going to make it they have sprouted new leaves and look good.
Our winters here never seem to be the same so we never know what to plant or what to protect because the temperature can have such a wide range in any given winter year but  each year we are getting better at extending our fresh produce season.
I got chores done a little early today and headed over to the half price kids sale with daughter and we let IR tag along this time and she was so excited to get to pick out some clothes of her own.
We came home and I relaxed for the rest of the evening and hubbie and I watched some TV and then set our clocks up for the dreaded daylight savings time beginning tonight.
Thankful for the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night












No comments: