Thursday, October 11, 2018

FLOODING AND HIGH WINDS FROM MICHAEL

Amen !!
At least we know the national alarm system works and will wake us up from a sound sleep. This morning a little after 5am my phone went off with the loud alarm waking both hubbie and me. He said see if there is a tornado but it was a flood warning for our area. We could hear the pounding rain on the roof as I dozed back off. Hubbie said he could never get back to sleep.
Daughter came in at 7:15 saying they had just called a 2 hour delay for schools but she had to go on time because the buses were already dropping off kids at school.
There was a different plan for g-son and RL this morning anyway as g-son had a 9:00 dentist appointment and d-in-love was going in to work late after dropping RL at her pre-school.
Hubbie and I fed IR and then I braved the pouring rain to get the morning feeding chores done.
The bottoms are completely flooded already and  when I passed the rain gauge there was almost 4 more inches in there.


I have several cake and egg orders for today so hubbie, IR and I made our way through the main road into town highway 64 which wasn't flooded anywhere.
There was only a handful of vendors at market when we arrived. We got set up and then IR had fun chasing some balloons someone gave her.


Business was very slow but I am thankful for what we did sell. Actually I was surprised at the number of customers who braved the rain and wind to come in.
The rain stopped about 11am but the wind got even harder knocking down tree after tree in the soaked ground and causing mud slides on many roads.

Hubbie and IR left about 11:30 so she could get a nap on the way to get his errands run on the way home.
The flood waters at our place are higher than we have seen them since the new road was put in.

 G-son enjoying his day off from school.
 The view from d-in-love's front porch.


The decision was made to close schools for the day even after many students had already arrived creating havoc for administrators and teachers in each school. Daughter said there were 85 students stranded at her high school who couldn't leave until the buses could take them home and there was no definite time for buses to run or if they even would run.
I left market at regular time and ran my bank, PO and Aldi errands. I saw many flooded roads on my way home while I tried to find a way home off the crowded highway 64 route.
This was 7th avenue.

And this was Dana road, thankfully this was in the opposite direction that I needed to go so I did find an easier less crowded way home.
There were  40 roads in Henderson county under water today from all the rain from Michael.



 This is a road I travel each day taking RL to her pre-school and I didn't even realize there was a stream near this road.
I also pass by this little waterfall and old mill at Highland Lake but I have never seen this much water coming over these falls.

Hubbie helped me get unloaded when I got home and daughter came in from school right behind me.
Also d-in-love brought RL and g-son up here to play with IR for a little while.
After they all left hubbie and I got chores done and thanked the Lord that we have no damage at least that we can see yet. As the sun set the water was still out in our bottom front pasture.
There was another 3.5 inches of rain in the gauge bringing the total at our place to 4.85 since yesterday morning.
Thankfully the wind is calming down this evening and the storm has moved in Virginia but is still dropping massive amounts of rain with high winds.
The devastation in Florida is mind boggling and I am praying that there are no people in all of this destruction.

 Many houses are completely gone leaving only the cement slabs behind.


Praying for all these folks who have lost everything and for the families who have lost loved ones as this massive storm left it's ugly mark .
Thankful for the blessings of this day as we dealt with the flooding and wind and felt the protective arms of our loving Lord.
God Bless and Good Night






No comments: