Wednesday, July 13, 2011


This morning started out hot and muggy early. The 2 little chicks were doing fine when I did chores,they were just a bit more wobbly than their older siblings.
As I ate my cereal I tried to decide what I should do first today and decided on the things that had to get done today.
So instead of housework which normally happens this morning I iced 12 caramel cakes. That's all my back can take at one time anymore.
It was lunch time when I accomplished this so after lunch I decided to make my bread and butter pickles to give my back a different exercise anyway!

I called Monday "green bean day" so I guess that makes today "cucumber day".
This little 1/2 row of cukes have been really producing so far this year.

Yesterday I picked all these cucumbers for my pickle making.

They looked so pretty all sliced and packed in the jars. I like onion slices mixed in with my B&B pickles and daughter found a couple really sweet Vadalia's at the grocery yesterday, they didn't even make me cry when I sliced them !

Time to heat the vinegar,sugar and spice mixture, which is a normal combination in any canning book recipe.
Pour this hot mixture over packed cucumbers in the jars and process for 5 minutes.

Viola !!!! 17 pints of yummy Bread and Butter pickles.
After 24 hours we will sample these of course,everything doesn't have to wait until the snowflakes are flying !!

After I finished this I took a couple Tylenol to knock the pain in my back down and iced 6 more caramel cakes.

Hubbie and I sat down to eat supper of popcorn chicken and salad. That's when things went down hill fast !!!
The strangest thing happened and I still can't figure out what in the world caused it.
Suddenly I felt very ill right in the middle of one of my chicken pieces. I layed the uneaten part back in my plate and had to rush to the bathroom and spit out what I had in my mouth to keep from gagging. I grabbed the waste basket and headed for the couch warning Hubbie on the way he might be needed in case I gagged and passed out with my hyper active vagel nerve.
He looked shocked and came to ask what was wrong , we went over my day's activities and could not relate this sudden nausea to any thing.
I layed flat on my back until 10:00 ,only getting up to go to the bathroom several times before I felt any relief.
It looked like we were going to get a storm a couple times this evening but no rain ever came here, it went around us. At least the clouds cooled the 93 degree temperature down.
I got up and coached daughter through coconut cake icings and will let the rest wait until tomorrow. Thankful that I already had the large order already iced.
We got everything wrapped and labeled and I did weekly paperwork and closed out June's paperwork. June was a pretty good month for us not exactly up to what we've made in the past several years but still in the ball park anyway.
I'm writing this blog at midnight. I feel like I have been hit by a truck but still can't figure out what happened. I even searched my head for a tick, I have heard that sometimes a tick bite could make you sick, but I didn't find one.
I'm off to bed now ,hoping I sleep whatever's wrong off.
Thanking God tonight for the blessing of a garden that is producing wonderful fresh food right now.
Good Night and God Bless.


Gail said...

Sending healing thoughts and hope today finds you fully recovered. Could you have gotten too hot?

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hope you are feeling better, Marilyn... It's no fun being sick--especially when you have SO much to do!!!!!

Think I told you but I love Bread and Butter Pickles. My Mom used to make them --and they are delicious....

Take care.

NCmountainwoman said...

Here's hoping you have a short-lived virus and will be fine soon. Aren't jars of freshly done pickles the most beautiful things?