Tuesday, July 12, 2011

HOT DAY AND 1961 MEMORIES

Ahhh!!!! Nothing pressing this morning to get up to,feels good just to ease into my day !
It is very cloudy this morning so the temperature is not rising as fast as predicted,maybe it won't get as hot as predicted.
I did laundry all morning and finally risk hanging towels outside about noon as the clouds seemed to be breaking up.
I cleaned house and rearranged my downstairs storage shelves to make a place for all my green beans from yesterday.
After lunch I decided to move some chicks around so they would be less crowded and cooler. I put the 6 Orphington cross mid May hatched chicks out into the Silkie lot. The only bad thing about putting them out there is now they eat laying mash,not chick starter.But the ingredients are almost the same.
While I was up there I looked in on the newly hatched chicks and was surprised to see a just hatched chick in the nest and another egg with a hole in it. I felt the little chick and even in the heat of the day it felt cool so I brought it and the egg with a hole inside and put them in a box on my old heating pad.In not too long I heard a loud peeping sound and when I looked in the box the 2nd chick had pecked it's way out of it's shell.I kept them on the heating pad,gave them a couple drinks of sugar water for strength and as soon as the mama Silkie sat back on the nest to roost tonight I carried these 2 out and they scooted under her warm body. Hopefully they will be fine by morning.They will make her 6 chicks.

This is one of my favorite spots in the yard while the Mimosa trees are blooming.
Even on hot days this spot looks so cool and inviting, it's where the driveway splits to go to the house or the barn.
Hubbie and I worked in the garden for a while this evening. I picked all the cucumbers for pickle making and we tilled and planted some late beans.
I had to change clothes when I came inside because I was soaking wet with sweat.
It was 92 here today and the humidity is still hanging on.

Back in July 1961 I had finished my first year of school and turned 7 years old on July 31.Got to celebrate it with my best friend Rita and my brother.

Here is the whole family on that day.It was a hot dry July in 1961 according to some info I looked up. The first hurricane of the season formed on July 20,1961, named Anna it was a category 3 before it veered away from the states.

I baked 60 cake layers plus 2 pound cakes and 2 wine cakes tonight. It is almost 12:30 am and I'm waiting for the last ones to come out of the oven.
I'm thankful to God tonight for my blessings and for the love He always has for me.
Good Night and God Bless.

3 comments:

Gail said...

Wonderful memories...and a lot of cakes!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We had rain and clouds off and on all day yesterday ---which kept us inside and kept the temps down... YEAH!!!!

We used to have a Mimosa tree in our yard in VA where I grew up. Mom used to hate it --except when it bloomed since it is so invasive... BUT--I like them too.

Great pictures of you WAY back when.... I enjoy your memory pictures.

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

jeanlivingsimple said...

It is hot and so humid that I could cut the air with a knife! Finally we are getting a thunderstorm.
Hey...Happy Early Birthday! Hope I remember to come back on the 31st.