Tuesday, October 10, 2017

JELLY MAKING TUESDAY

Up to a rainy cloudy morning as we welcomed both g-daughters early. As I did chores the sun was starting to rise and compete with the clouds that were breaking up.

There was another 1/2 inch of rain in the gauge this morning.
Both girls appeared to be in good moods this morning.
I took RL to preschool and hubbie put IR down for a morning nap.
When I got home we cleaned house until IR woke up then hubbie took her outside to walk and rock on the front porch while I finished mopping the floors.
I went to pick up RL and after she had her chicken nuggets she went fast to sleep on the ride home.
Hubbie and I had lunch and then IR had her bottle and went to sleep also. With both of them sleeping soundly I started making my apple peel jelly with the peelings from the Jonagold apples that were made into applesauce last week.
Almost as soon as I put the peels in the pot and turned the stove on g-daughter IR woke up. Hubbie took her outside with him to meet the Duke Energy guy who was looking to see what we needed to remove the hanging limb from our power line.
I cooked the peels for about 30 minutes in 6 cups of water and then wrapped them in a cheesecloth bag and pressed 7 cups of juice from them.
These apples make beautiful juice.
This is why I always use a very deep pot for jelly making !!!
  I added pectin and sugar to the juice and brought it back to a rolling boil for 1 minute. I ladled the jelly into jars and water bathed them for 5 minutes.  The results , 14 jars plus about a cup to eat now of this really pretty yummy jelly.
Here is the recipe I used for this batch of jelly.

RL woke up about the time I was taking the jars out of the canner and was in a remarkably good mood after her long nap. In her case long naps worry me as she may be getting sick because she never does this ????
I always wonder if RL  remembers using these things that IR is using now as she remembers exactly how to work everything on them ?
She got my hat and gloves on and said "I'm Neena going to feed the chickens"   I love this little mini me !!!
After their moms came and d-in-love left with RL I went out to the volleyball game with daughter to take care of IR while she kept score for the JV team. The JV team won the match winning 2 out of 3 sets. G-daughter IR couldn't have cared less who won !!!
I left after the JV game as son-in-love was coming to watch some of the varsity game with daughter and IR.
I did chores and then stuffed, closed and finished these 10 little eyelet pillows for the order that needs to be shipped .
I spent the rest of the evening relaxing a bit before an early bedtime.
 Hubbie and I both are fighting head colds or something that is making us both feel exhausted this week. Probably how we feel has something to do with the unseasonal weather we are having, today was a miserable hot muggy day and the morning lows are setting records for being the warmest ever in the upper 60's. Thankfully it is going to cool down later in the week.

Thankful for the blessings of this day and for the love of a Wonderful Savior.
God Bless and Good Night



.


1 comment:

linda m said...

Your jelly looks very yummy. My hubby and I are both fighting off something also. Our weather has been crazy this Fall and I think all the "ups and downs" in the temperature are what is causing us to feel yucky. Blessings