Wednesday, May 24, 2017

IT HAS RAINED TOO MUCH WHEN FROGS DROWN

Another soggy morning as a rain overnight left another 1/4 inch in the gauge. The mud in the chicken lots is getting deeper and slicker by the day.
After chores and breakfast I decided to take a walk before the dark clouds brought more rain. There is still beauty even on this dreary cloudy morning.



These Blackberries are a bit late blooming but it looks like we will have a bumper crop.

Back inside just as a light mist started falling I rested with a cup of hot tea and had devotions before starting my baking.
My phone beeped with a weather message that said we were under a tornado watch for the day along with most of the southeast.
Looks like we are in for a rough day !!!


I wanted to get my baking done before the storms started and luckily I got 6 caramel, 2 chocolate, 4 pound cakes and a coffee cake made and had a late lunch before anything but rain made it into our area.
I had more papers to fill out and more phone calls to make with retirement stuff, man I'll sure be glad when this is all done !!!
I did a brief house cleaning today with all this other stuff to get done and forgot about my sewing today also.
Very heavy rain started falling about 4:15 and within 45 minutes we had another 1 & 1/2 inch in the gauge and the creek was licking the bank tops.
Sadie took off during the hard rain even without any thunder or lightening and as soon as the rain slacked we took umbrellas and found her standing on the side of the highway at #1 son's house. We are going to have to come up with a plan to keep her penned up in bad weather or when we aren't home so she won't run off. She seems to be brain dead and just gets worse as time goes on. Probably a combination of the hit she took last winter, her deafness and her old age.
This is a rare sight but one that says it definitely has rained too much. This poor frog must have gotten caught in the current of water that ran through the yard earlier and drowned.
There should be a "saying" here that when frogs start drowning it has rained too much.
We waited out another rain band and did chores a little late in a light mist of rain. All the animals look like they could sure use some warm sunshine and the garden is standing full of water once again.
Memories of a summer not too many years ago when we got rain almost everyday and didn't get anything out of our garden that year keep crossing my mind as the rain totals for the year keep growing and are already at a surplus of well over 5 inches.
I spent the evening icing cakes and watching the finale of Survivor which had a surprise winner.
I am glad this season is over as it is hard on Wednesday nights to get all the weekly paperwork done, the bills paid and the cakes iced with a TV show to watch.
I made it to bed at midnight again even with an earlier start to this evening.
Thankful to God for the blessings of this day and striving each day to be the person He wants me to be.
God Bless and Good Night

No comments: