Friday, August 31, 2012

HOLDEN BEACH HERE WE COME

Our abbreviated vacation time has arrived. After watching to see where hurricane Issac went I almost didn't find a place for us to stay. I missed my first choice beach front house by a couple hours but we did get a house on a canal. I waited until Monday morning to call about it for 2 reasons, #1 the weather and #2 they wouldn't agree to rent for 4 nights in 2 different  weeks until they were sure they couldn't rent for the entire week.
After chores last night hubbie and I packed most of the things in the van.
We decided to take the van because of gas prices and a possible gas shortage because of the hurricane. My van gets excellent gas mileage and we can get there on half a tank.
#1 son and g-son are also leaving today . #1 son worked night shifts all week putting in culverts on a road they had to close down so he doesn't have to work today. Daughter and d-in-love both had to work today so they will ride together and come down after work.
We are staying at Holden Beach again this year. Hoping it is not so crowded on this holiday weekend. Normally I would never travel on a holiday but with all the new jobs for the kids there isn't enough vacation time to take a whole week,plus g-son is now in school. He is missing 2 days for this trip,
today and Tuesday but his teacher said it was fine.
#2 son cannot make this trip and is taking care of the farm for us. He can't get time off around this holiday and he is still waiting to hear back from a bank on a house offer he has made.
Hubbie and I got everything taken care of with extra feed and water and got on the road at 10:30. We decided we would be in no hurry as we expect heavy traffic.

As we traveled down highway 74 we had little traffic problems until we got to Charlotte,NC and traffic was really jammed for several miles.
We witnessed a near accident when a SUV in front of us had a blow out in a front tire. The tire just exploded and the driver did a good job of getting off the road out of traffic.
Our traveling companions are good riders.

I break up the boredom by looking for shapes in the clouds. Today I saw a mouse and a kangeroo that watched us drive past.
#1 son went a different route than us and we expect to get there about the same time.
We arrived at the rental agency to pick up the keys at 4:40 so that wasn't a bad trip time even with the extra traffic.
We unloaded the van and then went to the grocery store where we met #1 son and g-son.
We got groceries then went to Subway for supper. We also stopped for fishing license and bait on the way back to the house.The sun was getting low by the time we crossed back on to the island.

G-son is so excited it makes all the trouble worth it. After we ate we went out on our dock to fish but darkness sat in quickly and after I tangled my line for a second time we took a walk down to the pier to see what everyone else was catching.

One man was catching Black Drum one right after the other and g-son thought the fish flopping around on the pier was hilarious.
The full moon over the ocean was beautiful.


As we walked back to our house I listened to g-son's excited chatter and silently thanked the Lord for our safe trip and for the joy this little guy brings to me each day.
Daughter and d-in-love left their house at 5:30 and made it down here about11:30..
So prayerfully thankful for the safe travel for all of us today and praying for God's grace for us here and #2 son as he watches over our farm.
Good Night and God Bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very trouble-free to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this website.

My web blog :: buy broken computers charlotte nc

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude!
Thank you, However I am having difficulties with your RSS.
I don't understand why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having similar RSS problems? Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

Feel free to visit my weblog - computer service charlotte nc