Saturday, June 27, 2020

SAHARAN DUST STORM ARRIVES

Up to get this Saturday started.
I got chores done and then had a nice leisurely breakfast for I think the first time this week !!
After breakfast hubbie went up to the new chicken tractor with me to move it so the grass under the runners he made under it wouldn't die.
After that I pulled weeds in the garden and worked on getting some weeds cut out of the green house lot where some tomatoes are planted in the old bath tub in there.
The chickens are always happy for the weeds I offer them.
I planted some cucumber seeds in the bath tub where the radishes were planted and put up a new climbing trellis in hopes these cucumbers will provide some later cukes for eating.
I went up to cut my basil and discovered all the basil plants had powdery mildew. I pulled all them up and put them in a plastic bag to be thrown away. I do not want this disease to spread to other things in the garden beds. This is the second time I have lost an entire basil crop to this mildew and these plants were in a totally different location than the first time that was a couple years ago.
Hopefully I got them out before the disease spreads but it was sad to loose the entire crop.
All I have left is some small leaf basil in a pot below the house but that seems to be doing fine and is very fragrant.
I went in the basement and checked to see what was dry enough to put into jars and found the peppermint and spearmint was ready to into jars as well as the massive amount of lemon balm I had hanging up to dry .

I worked in this while hubbie went to the bottom pastures to bush hog as the weeds are starting to take over in spots down there and we don't want them to form seed heads.
I finished jarring the dried herbs just in time to head out to the Curb Market to attend an outside board meeting.
We made some pretty big and difficult decisions today. One of those was the closure on Tuesdays for the rest of the year in order to make up the revenue we are loosing from the parking for the apple festival that has been called off this year due to the covid virus.
We met for 2 hours and then I drove home.
The hazy skies and dust make for a strange view to day as the Saharan dust storm reaches our mountains. It is very strange for the dust to make it this far north.


Hubbie was still in the bottom bush hogging so I put away some laundry and then had an early supper.
Hubbie came in just as the news came on TV and we watched then got chores done.
The second run of incubator chicks and guineas are beginning to hatch and so far there are 5 chicks but no guinea eggs have hatched yet. I am not opening it until tomorrow night to remove the hatched chicks so as not to lower the moisture level too much on the unhatched eggs.
I also set another red silkie hen up to set on 4 silkie eggs and 3 layer hen eggs in one of the small condo brooder boxes I have empty. This hen is one of my best mamas so hopefully she will have a good hatch.
I have so many different chicken locations now that I count as I go to make sure I don't miss any.
Hubbie and I finished the day watching the sunset through the dust over the mountains and admiring the freshly cut pasture below.

#1 son's family went to a new lake today, Lake Fontana, in NC today and the kids looked like they had a great time jumping from John's new house boat. G-son took his friend Nicolas with them so that made for more fun.





Thankful for the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night

No comments: