Tuesday, September 15, 2020

GLEANING THE GARDEN

 Up to greet IR and CA this morning on another cloudy humid day, evidently it rained last night and left 2/10ths inch of rain in the gauge.                                                                                                                       I got chores done and then had breakfast with IR and CA since they had refused to eat with hubbie earlier. IR colored a pumpkin while we ate. 


                                                                                                 

 After we ate we all loaded up in the Honda and went to Biltmore in sought Asheville to a pharmacy that carries the cholesterol supplements I take and then we stopped by the Biltmore gatehouse to pick up a winter supply of their wassail mix that I use in green tea and other things.                                             Both girls konked out on the way over there and slept all the way home almost as CA woke up when were going through the drive thru at Cook Out to pick up cheese quesadillas and hush puppies that IR had asked for before she went to sleep.                                                                                              We had a nice lunch with the girls then they wanted to go outside so we let them swing and play outside until daughter got here. It is chilly today and a breeze sent me inside to get a jacket over my short sleeves.    We are going to see our first 40"s lows since last spring as early as tomorrow morning according to this weather forecast.                                                                                                                                               


 While we were outside IR picked this pretty little "Mouse Ears" flower for me and I think these are so pretty and you can surely see why they are called mouse ears !!!!  I'm sure it has a long scientific name but we've always just called them Mouse Ears.                                                                                                     

In the wake of the forecast for maybe 6 inches of rain and high winds toward the end of the week I gleaned the garden today. The tomatoes are pretty done except for a couple plants so these will be the last of that vine ripe taste we will have from our garden.                                                                              
I also picked all the peppers from the few plants that are left and made a jar of refrigerator pickles .         

And I let the okra go too long and had to give the chickens some of the bigger ones that were tough.       

We still have green beans and potatoes to harvest in the summer garden and the fall gardens is coming up finally.

I got chores done and then cut a few more weeds out of the asparagus patch until I stumbled around a fell and hurt my good knee again. I did manage to get the one guinea hen that runs around the yard put back up with the younger guineas tonight and stapled the wire lot back in a few places so she can't get out again. I have 3 male guineas and her left from last year and she is their leader and they have been crossing the highway and going over to Aa's pasture everyday. They don't respect traffic and are definitely not road smart so I want to break up their loafering route everyday with her put up.                  I came inside and iced my knee for a little while and then went into my office to pay weekly bills .          Tomorrow is errand day so we will stop and mail them on our way to the dump.                                           Thankful for the blessings of this day.                                                                                                        God Bless and Good Night