Tuesday, July 6, 2010


Up early and after chores I'm off to the hospital. Looking out over the city of Asheville from the parking deck,the morning haze hadn't burned off yet.On the 4th of July hubbie said people crowded down here from everywhere to watch the fireworks over downtown.
Son and daughter were asleep when I arrived. They had not gotten much sleep last night due to a student nurse who started coming in at 2 am and woke them up repeatedly for the rest of the night.
Physical therapy came in and we convinced son to get up and walk with the walker,then he sat in the recliner for several hours.After he got up and moved his foot around he found he could pull his toes toward him which has been a great concern for the doctors. He grumbled about sitting up but I think he enjoyed it.
I left to come home when d-in-love and g-son came in for lunch.
I had loads of laundry to do here. This is the first Tuesday of the month so I had a lot of extra cleaning and laundry today and didn't get it all finished,tomorrow is another day.
Hubbie went to the hospital tonight for a little while,no one is spending the night tonight. They are going to give him a sleeping pill and there won't be any reason for anyone to be there.
His vascular surgeon came in and was very impressed with the progress he had made since he last saw him on Friday after the surgery.
They are trying to get his orthopedic surgeon and vascular surgeon together to make some decisions about physical therapy and pain meds.
The nurse said they talked today so maybe tomorrow they will have a plan for son.
The nurse said they were trying to get a regimen for pain relief he could do at home.
They sent in a portable wound vac for him to take home today.I still think he will be home for the weekend baring any set backs.
Hubbie said tonight when he came home that he couldn't believe how much better son looked and how much swelling had gone down just from last night.
I even got out this evening and took a walk around our freshly bush hogged pasture. It was nice to get some regularity back into my life and just take a break from the worry.
This has really put things into perspective for me, how life as you know it can change completely in the blink of an eye.
Hubbie and I have been discussing doing something we have thought about for a long time. We always said we'll do it later but after this lesson in life we may go ahead and do it now. I don't want to jinx it by talking about it even before we've had a chance to positively decide on it.
I have been baking cakes tonight and it is 12:20 and I'm waiting for the last ones to come out of the oven now.
So thankful tonight for answered prayers.
Good Night and God Bless.


NCmountainwoman said...

I'm so happy to hear good news. It will be a slow process, but things seem to be on the right track. Still thinking of all of you.

BTW: Baking cookies this late? What about the idea of getting more rest? And taking care of yourself? Try to work on that.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Great news, Marilyn. Hope you all get him home this weekend. That will improve his attitude as much as anything will... Bless his heart.. He has been through alot... All of you have!!!! I'm sure the stress has been hard for all of you...

Life does change in a second sometimes, doesn't it??? Don't put off things you (we) need to do NOW.


Patty H. said...

So good to hear that things are going better foryour son. Cont. to pray for him.