Wednesday, July 28, 2010


After outside chores this morning I put in my last load of catch-up laundry and started icing caramel cakes.
I finished around lunch when #1 son came over to meet his wound care nurse who was bringing a trainee to watch today. This has happened a lot with his injury, his nurse said this is the worst knee/leg injury she has seen in all her nursing career.He seems to be in less pain than he has been in since the accident,the bad thing about that is now that he feels better he wants to drive and other things he is not supposed to be doing.
After they finished with his dressing change we headed out , I dropped him off at his friends packing house and I took #2 son's dog Flash to the vet for his first visit. He got shots and they checked him for worms and found he still has round worms. They gave him some heart worm medicine that will take care of all other worms also. I brought him here for the afternoon to watch to make sure he didn't have a reaction to the shots.
On the way out when I stopped at #2 son's house to get Flash I almost ran over this little Red Bellied Woodpecker fledgling who was on the side of the driveway.He was not happy when I tried to move him over in the grass under a big tree.
When I came back from the vet I stopped and he was actually on the side of the tree. I looked all around up in the tree to see the hole where the nest might be but couldn't. I have no idea what mom and dad can do with this fellow, he is pretty good size,already the same size as an adult Downy Woodpecker. He wasn't even trying to fly,the fall may have injured him,I took him some suet cake but all he wanted to do was get away from me. I left him alone because I didn't want him to get out in the open away from the tree. Good luck mom and dad !!!

I rested awhile before hubbie came home. He went to pick up #1 son and they started all his machinery before they came in for supper.
After we ate son went home, #2 son came after Flash and I watered my plants. We still haven't had any rain to speak of but I'm not complaining because I don't want one of the severe storms some places are getting.
I took a short walk tonight,my hips hurt last night and kept me awake till the wee hours of the morning, so I'm taking it easy tonight.
I payed bills and did some paperwork before finishing my icings and labeling all my cakes.
Thanking God for all His blessings.
Good Night and God Bless.


NCmountainwoman said...

Glad your son is having less pain. I'm sure he is wise enough to know to abide by his activity restrictions. He's come too far to mess up now.

Hope the little woodpecker makes it.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh---hope the little Red-bellied makes it... I'm sure he is scared... Wonder where the parents are?????

Hope your son continues to get better and better. It's just a long, slow process.

We finally got over 2 inches of rain last night... Yeah Rah--we needed it SO much.

Hope you have a good day today.

Nezzy said...

Awwww, he's a youngun for sure! I bet he's old enough to fly since most of his downy fuzz is gone and replaced with flyin' feathers.

I'll sure be puttin' your son on my prayer list for continued recovery.

This Ozark farm chick is so glad I dropped in. God bless and have a terrific day!!!

Gail said...

Beautiful bird, thank you for helping.

Glad your son is doing well. Now will be the hard part of keeping him from doing too early.