Monday, March 11, 2013

RAINY DAY TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

A dreary morning greeted us today. The weather wizards said the rain would be here about 5pm,not so !!  It already is lightly raining at 8am,yuck.
Hubbie took g-son to school while I did chores and moaned and groaned about it being so early,guess I better suck it up and get used to it ,huh !!
Hubbie spent the morning replanting some of the trees he and #2 son dug up yesterday then he took the rest up to #2 son's new house to set them out to hide the open area under his porch.
#2 son is taking 2 weeks off to spruce up the new house and put it up for sale. He doesn't like it up there on the mountain with the 30+ minutes drive to work.
I worked on Avon orders all morning and after a late lunch went to run an errand for daughter on the way to the post office to mail some Avon packages. Daughter is busily registering new kindergarteners and has to work until 6 tonight.
After a couple more errands for me it was time to pick g-son up on the way home. I could tell he was tired also from the earlier morning wake up time.
We came home and he felt much better after a large snack of mac and cheese followed by a cookie.
It is still raining lightly so while g-son watched some cartoons I sewed up a couple more bonnets to keep my sewing schedule going.

After his dad picked him up I did chores and relaxed while I waited for darkness to run all the animals into their houses so I could shut them up for the rainy night ahead.
I baked and iced a coconut cake tonight to be delivered to school tomorrow morning.

I took a trip down memory lane on my way back from the school daughter works at today. I passed by this large pasture that hubbie and I rented back in 1991 for our holstien steers we raised. It was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Kilpatrick. They were vendors in the Curb Market,he was a wood carver and she made sewn items to sell. I think her name was Vinena ,but I'm not positive.
We asked him if he would rent his unused pasture to us and he agreed. Back them the upper half of this field was an old apple orchard which we cleaned all the overgrown briars and vines out of.


This small creek was enclosed in all woods back then.

I was glad to see the old house still standing but sad to see the old barn behind the house gone. I pictured in my mind the many times when we came by to check on our calves that we would find Ralph sitting out under the shed part of that old barn making walking sticks and slingshots from branches he had picked up from the woods around his property.

I was intriqued by this older couples simple lifestyle back then. They acted as if they didn't have a care in the world and smiled and laughed like there was no tomorrow. This elderly couple passed away many years ago now but my time with them will always be special. They had 2 sons neither of which lived close but 1 of them did move back and build a house on the land in 1992. I lost touch with them after the older couple passed and noticed that in 2005 the entire property was sold. The old fences,some of which hubbie and I built are still standing and in good repair.
These are special memories for me that were awakened when I happened across an old diary I kept during that time of my families life. When I changed desk it had fallen behind the old desk and I had forgotten about it. This was 1991, I also found some months from several other early years. I liked keeping a written record of my life at times even back through time when I had the extra time. Most of the months are the slow winter months as there wasn't much time any other time of year. I have a plan to type all these snippets into a book to go along with my blog books as soon as I have time to do it. I am almost finished with my latest blog book so it will be a good time to start a new project,huh !!
This evening the rain has really picked up and the temperature is hanging out in the upper 40's so it feels pretty damp and cool tonight.
God has a grand plan for all of us if we only allow Him to put it in place.
Good Night and God Bless.


2 comments:

linda m said...

What a wonderful trip down memory lane. Blessings

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Isn't it special to go down memory lane???? But--it can also be a sad time when we see that things have changed... Life goes on... Hard sometimes to admit that...

Sorry that your son even bought the new house.. Hope he can at least break even. It's hard to buy and sell so quickly like that.. BUT--the housing market IS better now--so hopefully he will make some money!

We had rain all day yesterday too... Nice day to stay inside and get inside work done...

Hugs,
Betsy