Thursday, January 14, 2021

HOW MY WINTER GARDEN GROWS

 Up to another cold ice breaking morning as I got chores done.  I came back inside and had a quick meal bar for breakfast so we could get an early start on our errand day since we have several stops to make. IR and CA are with us today and we loaded up in hubbie's truck and headed out.  First stop was the dump / recycle center then we stopped at Walgreens so hubbie could get some fingertip covers to hopefully help him keep from jerking the mashed nail from his finger until it is ready to come off.  We then went to Sav Mor for a couple things and to meet an egg customer before making a stop at the Curb Market to drop off cookbooks and check the mail. Then it was off to the post office to buy stamps and mail bills. Our last stop was to pick up lunches then home to have lunch. CA napped while we were out and stayed asleep on the couch while IR , hubbie and I had our lunch.  CA ate when she woke up a little while later.   EL and BB came in after they finished their virtual school day and they all 4 watched TV and played the afternoon away.  I made a cake delivery for daughter while she stayed with the hubbie and the kids.  She took all 4 kids to her house since d-in-love had to take g-son back to the dentist to have more work done on his braces.  Hubbie and I got out and got chores done after she left.  As I walked by the garden I said a thankful prayer for the fresh vegetables I still have growing in mid January. The Kale and Collard greens have survived without any covering and the broccoli in the tunnel keeps giving us fresh broccoli.    

We also are still harvesting Bok Choy, Swiss Chard, Spinach, carrots and lettuce from the raised beds that I keep covered. 
It has been a pretty mild winter so far so my fingers are crossed to see how long I can keep fresh food alive and doing well during the winter months. It takes some time and effort as I do cover these plastic tunnels with blankets on colder nights and then take the covers off during the day so the sun can warm the plants. 
If the greens don't survive uncovered we will grow them in tunnels also next year.
I came inside and relaxed for the evening.
Thankful for the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night