Monday, May 28, 2012

MEMORIAL DAY 2012 A BUSY ONE


Today is a  day of grateful thanks to all the brave fallen soldiers who have made our freedom possible.
We take so much for granted in this country and even with the recent 9/11 attacks that changed our country forever we are still more free than any other nation in the world because of our war fighting heroes.
This 2012 Memorial day has been a busy one for me. After chores ,a walk and breakfast I went to work catching up some much needed outside task.
I gave my huge Oregano patch a nice haircut and now have boxes of it drying all around the basement. I also cut some Rosemary, Sage, Thyme and Tarragon to dry.
Hubbie spent the morning in the garden.

These are our potatoes in front of him.
I planted Basil and Bee Balm I bought Saturday as well as the Moon Vine and purple Wandering Jew.
(oops, forgot to take pics)
I used a weed slinger and cut all the weeds along the drive way. I got to brave and while hanging precariously on the side of a bank lost my footing and my shin landed on the just sharpened weed slinger blade. Not good, I finally got the jagged cut to stop bleeding and ended my weed slinging for the day !
After I doctored my leg I helped hubbie re-open all the driveway ditches that he closed while scraping the driveway.
This little guy watched us intentedly .
With temperatures in the 80's and hot sunshine I got sunburned,especially on my back where my tank top bared skin not usually open to the sun.
Daughter came by after working 1/2 day and we walked over to check out how the guys were coming along on #1 son's new deck they are building.
It is really looking good and by this evening they had it finished.
After daughter left and I finished evening chores the skies quickly darkened and the outer bands of tropical storm Beryl made an appearance here in the mountains with gusty wind and over 1/2 inch of rain in about 20 minutes. The fast moving rain caught hubbie in the shed and #1 son on the lawn mower.
I am thankful for the rain but unfortunately it fell so fast that most of it ran off but at least it sure cooled the temperature down tonight.
As I yawn at 10:00 tonight and my cut leg aches I think this would be a good night to get to bed extra early.
Tomorrow we will get more "Beryl" before he moves on out to sea hopefully.
Thankful to God for a wonderful day and the blessings of a wonderful family and a world full of His wonderful creations.
Again I humbly thank our fallen heroes.

Good Night and God Bless.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marilyn, Other than cutting your leg (Yipes), I hope that your Memorial Day was a good done. My hubby cooked us some steaks on the grill. Delicious!!!

We need rain so much --so I hope we get some the next couple of days --not from Beryl but coming from the west. It has been horribly hot here the past 3-4 days.

That deck looks GREAT.
Hugs,
Betsy

Gail said...

What a busy day! Sorry about the leg, weed slingers are good for that.

Hope Beryl finds his way here. We are parched.