Friday, November 10, 2017

MAX PATCH HERE WE COME

Got extra sleep this morning since schools are closed today in observance of Veterans Day tomorrow.
After chores we had breakfast and then went over to our friends apple farm to make come pics of daughter's family.
It was a cold morning at 44 degrees and windy. But  I think I got some good pictures.



After that early outside time we all came home for extra clothes before we headed up to Madison County to a place in the Pisgah National Forest called Max Patch.
As we traveled through Madison county my memories of coming up here often when I was a child with my father were stirred and it amazed me to see things had not changed that much in some of the places we drove through than I remembered all those years ago. Madison county is filled with old barns and as we passed by many of them I wanted to stop and get photographs of them all to preserve the history of them.
I also noticed how green the grass still looks up here and what a beautiful blue sky there was today.
 It took almost 2 hours to make the drive , most of the time consumed by the miles and miles of narrow dirt roads getting up the mountain to Max Patch where we had to drive very slow around all the blind switch back curves.
We finally made it to the parking area and were surprised by the number of folks who were up here on this cold day.
We chose this shorter trail to the top it was steeper but about half the distance of the more sloping trail.
The views were truly breath taking from up here but with my bronchitis still on the mend it was a slow climb for me but every time I stopped the views were worth the time I spent resting.


Once we made it to the top we were again surprised at the number of folks who were up here .
G-son found an island !!!!
We had a wonderful time looking around and enjoying the views and the clear crisp refreshing air on the mountain top. This is our hiking crew today. Sadly d-in-love started running a fever yesterday and stayed home with g-daughter today. #2 son and Tif as well as #1 son all had to work today.




Oh to have the energy of this guy !!!!

G-daughter was all bundled up enjoying the getting carried around.
Time to head back down the trail.
Driving back down the narrow roads didn't seem to take as long as driving up there and we hadn't eaten lunch yet so we stopped at Cracker Barrel in Candler to have a late lunch.
G-daughter modeled their UNC hair bows.
Both grands were sooo good today I am proud of both of them for making the trip so much fun.
We made it home with just enough daylight left to get the chores done. I took all the waterers out of the chicken lots ahead of the cold temps coming tonight so they won't freeze. I use just open pans in winter so I can break the ice from then.
Hubbie went up to #2 son's house to help him move a dog house he built for their new Australian Shepherd Tif's dad gave them.
We took it easy tonight and enjoyed an evening of rest.
Thankful for traveling mercies today and for the wonderful , beautiful world God created for us to enjoy.
God Bless and Good Night








No comments: