Wednesday, June 2, 2010

AVON LUNCHEON

Up extra early this morning for a busy day.
At 10 am I'm supposed to be in Asheville,NC here: I looked up directions last night and it should take about 30 minutes to get there,so I left at 9:15. I followed the excellent directions and drove straight to it, although it is visible from far away with all the one-way streets it can be very difficult to get to.Inside it is very elegantly decorated.
Avon rents the Grand Ball Room every year to pay tribute to the Presidents Club members of my division with an award luncheon.
I have not been able to go in several years because it has been on a market or babysitting day,so I was glad when I got the invitation and realized I would be able to make it this year.There are Avon reps there from about 7 counties,there was only 1 other lady that I knew so I got a chance to make new friends.It was interesting today to see quite a few men as representatives, in fact the 2nd highest salesman was a man. Wonder what the first Mrs. Albee would think about that !!This was our place setting when the doors opened at 10 . But lunch wasn't until 12 noon so I was glad I wasn't hungry or it would have been torture to look at this for 2 hours.12:00 finally came and after the salad this was the entree ,baked chicken breast with roasted red pepper sauce, steamed asparagus and carrots, it was delicious.
The service was awesome and I tried to finish that piece of cheese cake but ran out of room about half way through. Yum,Yum.This is the Presidents Club necklace we all got this year along with some earrings and a smaller version of the Mrs.Albee award .After all the raffles and prizes I at least won the centerpiece off our table. They gave away grills,camcorders,clocks,money and totebags along with a grand prize of a stereo system. I am not a lucky person so I felt fortunate to leave with anything.I also left with the disbelief that this 84 year old lady sold $184,300 worth of Avon this year.Yes that's one hundred and eighty four thousand dollars. That blows my mind !!! The second highest seller sold $52,000 ,so there was a lot of difference. I'm still wondering????? We all were !!! At my present rate of sales that's about 18 years worth for me!
After the luncheon I was only about a block from the Buncombe County Courthouse so I decided rather than try to find a parking space downtown I would just walk there and I'm glad I did because I got to enjoy more of the old buildings along the way.This had FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH carved in the stone above the door and the windows above were stained glass although it doesn't show up in this picture. I would have like to have went inside,I'll bet it was something to see,maybe one day I'll go back .
This, my destination was pretty impressive in itself,all 15 stories of it.
Unfortunately I did not find any information that I was looking for and I looked back through the books twice just to make sure I hadn't overlooked it. Oh well must be in another county.
As I was walking back to my van the rain started to sprinkle and the sky turned a threatening dark color but as I made it to the van and drove out of Asheville, I drove away from the storm,thankfully.
I made a couple stops on my way home and got home around 4 in the afternoon. It was drizzling rain here also but no storms.
I payed bills and did some paperwork before icing cakes this evening.
It's now midnight and I'm a tired lady.
Thanking God for my safe travel today.
Good Night and God Bless.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marilyn, So glad you got to go to the Avon Luncheon... The food looked great --and your gifts are nice. I'm like you---never win a thing... I cannot believe the amount of Avon that one woman had to have sold.... Goodness Gracious!!!

Sorry you didn't find anything of interest in the courthouse---but I'm glad you got outta there before the storms hit. Glad you were driving AWAY from the rains.

I'm fasting this morning (not even any water) --so as you can imagine, I'm hungry (mostly thirsty). I'll be glad when this surgery is OVER.
Hugs,
Betsy

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Great pictures my friend. I love the Ashville area. I live about 2 hours from there. Can you believe I have never been to the Biltmore House?
Looks like the Avon luncheon was a huge success. Glad you got to go. I am hoping to get to Lake Lure this summer, if I do maybe we can meet for lunch.
God bless.
Bren