Wednesday, June 30, 2010


The news from the hospital was bad and good this morning. Hubbie called to say son woke him up at 2 am saying his fever was going really high. Yes it was 104.5,yikes!!! They immediately gave tylenol (which by the way I was told they were taking him off of because of something showing up in his liver) they bought in tubs of ice and hubbie spent 2 1/2 hours with cold rags to get the fever to break. It's funny how perspective changes, a 103 fever now is acceptable,so when it got to that hubbie went back to sleep. He went to work at 10 this morning.
Now for the good news,which I have been praying for all week,they are moving him to Mission Hospital in Asheville this afternoon.
They have a large very modern infectious disease unit over there and he will get round the clock care.
He is actually sick today and can't eat,this is the 4th day without hardly any food.
I'm not a doctor but I'm just saying 5 days ago with the extreme tiredness,fever,high heart rate,loss of appetite ,rash and other symptoms he has I would have called in a specialist in this area before now !
I have had to continually fight to keep the emphasis squarely on him,because of this uneasy feeling I have had. It is a relief to me that he is being transferred,I just pray it is in time!!
D-in-love called about 3:oo this afternoon to say they were on their way,he was a direct admit to the St. Joseph's campus of Mission Hospital. She would stay with him until hubbie got off work and we went over,daughter is coming later to spend the night.
I iced cakes , did paperwork and payed bills this afternoon.
When hubbie came in from work we hurried through the chores and headed to Asheville.This hospital is 10 stories high and this is the beautiful view from his new home for a while.
Both his new vascular surgeon and his infectious disease doctor came in shortly after we arrived.
They unwrapped and examined his leg,saying it looked good. The vascular doctor said tomorrow they would do an arteriogram because the one they did at Park Ridge wasn't clear enough for them to make a decision on what to do. Then they will do the artery by pass on Friday or Monday.
The infectious disease doctor said that one of the antibiotics that he had been getting since his first surgery was the culprit causing the fever and low white cell count. Lord let him be right !!! He sounded very sure about his diagnosis.
They also took a boat load of blood for his new hematologist to look at,we didn't meet him yet. He is on no IV meds or fluid of any kind right now. Still on the blood thinner shots in his stomach but not coumadone.
Within these first 3 hours he has had more test and more decision have been made than in the last 2 weeks at the other hospital. So far I'm very impressed and am just praying that they are right.
Son seems to be in better spirits even though he is looking at another extended stay in this hospital after the artery surgery. I went down to the very nice cafeteria and got him homemade chicken and rice soup. After he ate that I had to go back down and get him a salad and fruit cup.
#2 son came over for a visit and daughter came in,it was nice having all 3 of my children supporting each other.
Daughter just sent a text from the hospital,son's fever is 98.2 at midnight ,prayerfully this will last through the night.
As hubbie and I left,just as we got to the car I looked up and saw this .It's as if this was God's reassurance for me,I'm at peace tonight for the first time in 3 weeks.
Thanking God for the blessings of today and for His part in healing son.
Good Night and God Bless.


Patty H. said...

{{{hugs}}} Wow! I'm praying that these drs will find the cause of your son's problems. Mission Hospital is a good hospital.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Marilyn, Well---getting son to another hospital is good news.. Sounds like they are much better at finding the problems. Thanks Be to God.

I hope and pray that things will turn around for him quickly now...

Hugs and Prayers,

NCmountainwoman said...

I was reluctant to mention it, but I've wanted your son at Mission so badly. I'm delighted he is there and will have so many experts managing his care. I'm not suggesting anything was improper at Park Ridge, but Mission is definitely the best place for him to be right now.

Thoughts and prayers still flowing for you and the family.

Claudia said...

All I can say is Praise God and the power of prayer is showing right here, right now!!