Tuesday, June 22, 2010


Up this morning to see how much housework and laundry I can get done before going to the hospital.
Daughter called to say they had postponed son's surgery today. His leg is still too swelled to close the other cut. He was disappointed,but was still in a lot of pain.
I get there just before lunch time and they had uncovered his closed side,which still looks pretty open to me !!But his leg as a whole looks better to me today. Just as I was getting comfortable a lady came in the door apologizing for having to come in and change the dressing and sponge in the still open cut.A lot of the pain would be from the clear sealing tape that was taped over the hairs on his leg. She said she was so hoping he would get to have the closing surgery,sparing him from the dressing change.
I decided this might be a good time for me to go have lunch since I hadn't eaten this morning and didn't think I should see this on an empty stomach.
I got some steamed asparagus spears and went outside to sit at the outdoor tables just outside the dining room.
After I finished eating and tryed to get back in I discovered all the doors were locked and only opened with an employee card. Soo I started walking,it was a beautiful sunny day and not to hot yet ,clouds were starting to rise on the horizon in advance of the afternoon summer storms. My I did not realize how big this place was as I finally arrived back at the front entrance.
When I got up to his room they were just finishing up and he was calmed down from the intense pain waiting on something to settle his stomach,as the pain had made him feel sick.
He ate his lunch and then drifted in and out of sleep for a while. The surgeon came in to look at his leg himself and said it would probably be next Tuesday before they closed the fasciotomy completely. He answered all our questions and even discussed the possibility of sending son home for a few days. He said all the pain was coming because there was just barely enough blood going through the damaged artery to his lower leg and foot to keep it alive. That was also why it was healing so slowly. He told son he could now move his leg into any position that felt comfortable as long as he kept it level with or above his heart most of the time. When he left son felt better and seemed to relax some. He said he would just as soon stay in the hospital another week as come home and not be able to get up anyway. His fever went up a little when they checked it right before I left so I don't think sending him home will be an option.
I delivered some Avon on my way home and finished laundry while hubbie came in from work and took a nap. Us girls take care of the daytime and he takes the late shift so he can help son go to the bathroom and shave and whatever. He has been going to bed at 11:30 and getting up at 5 am so he deserves a long afternoon nap.
It began to look like a storm was blowing up so I went to the garden and picked cucumbers and squash that were ready and went over and fed the chickens and gathered the eggs.
No storm came not even a sprinkle and we need rain desperately. I watered some of my potted plants and my patio tomatoes which have been providing us with cherry tomatoes for several days now.
After hubbie left for the hospital I started baking cakes and compiling my label info for each cake. I am just cutting off the ingredient label from the bags of flour,shortening,etc.
I will scan a page of ingredient labels for each cake tomorrow.
It is 12:30 and I am waiting for the last oven to finish.
Thanking God for blessing to calm son's fears and praying for healing for him.
Good Night and God Bless.


Traci @ The Bakery said...

I have been praying for your family daily. My question is...was this all from the trampoline or did he have previous problems? I have a friend who works for a home health co. & she warned me a long time ago about trampolines...how many patients they have due to injuries suffered on them....after she told me that, I refused to get our girls one. I freak when I see them jumping on one.... I hope peace comes soon for your family. {{{hugs}}}

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Bless his heart, Marilyn... I hope that the leg begins to heal, that he can get that surgery done --and that he can get some relief from the pain.

We haven't had any rain either. It is horribly hot here.


Seeking Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Poor guy . . . looks like a horrible cut. Praying for a quick healing for your him.

Also wanted to mention that my boys and I were in Boone this past week. We stayed in Spruce Pine and went to Linville Caverns. I love the mountains.


Far Side of Fifty said...

I am sending more good thoughts from Minnesota..one day at a time I guess..this injury seems to have had a mind of it's own..I do hope and pray that things look better soon and that the pain starts to go away:)