Friday, June 11, 2010


Well, I've been blogging for almost a year and hardly ever miss a day. But yesterday, well,hmmm,how to describe yesterday? Here goes.
Started out a regular market day ,had pretty good sales and all the orders got picked up. Ran errands afterward in a downpour of rain in town,but by the time I arrived home it was just sprinkling. Hubbie came in right behind me and we unloaded and put everything away.
Daughter called and said she would fix supper when she got home from her errands.
So I took a rest on the couch until she got supper ready. She always fixes healthy foods and tonight we had a tomato/mozzarella/basil salad which was delicious.
After we ate daughter headed over to #1 son's to jump on G-son's new trampoline with him.
Hubbie and I were getting ready to head up to work at church when the phone rang, it was d-in-love saying to come over there #1 son had hurt his knee and couldn't move.
When we arrived the first thing I saw was #2 son laying on the ground,trying to keep from passing out,because we found out later he heard the pop and being an athlete knew what happened. Daughter was white as a sheet and #1 son was laying on the trampoline,obviously in severe pain. I wanted to call an ambulance but he didn't want that. He was holding G-son while he and daughter jumped on the trampoline when he came down his left leg popped loudly and his foot came forward instead of backward.
I came home got my van and backed it up to the trampoline,he slid out into the back and layed there all the way to the hospital.We went to a local hospital called Park Ridge Hospital.
He made the trip okay but when he had to sit in a wheel chair, he passed out from the pain.
They quickly got him into a room and in bed,took him to x-ray and came back to tell us his leg was broken with his knee cap fractured in several places. He would need surgery but because he had eaten only 3 hours before they decided to immobilize the leg,pack it in ice because of the swelling and wait until morning.
They tried giving him morphine for the pain but had to switch to a stronger Dilaudid,then he had to be hooked to a heart and blood pressure monitor.This made me nervous,I saw #2 son have a drug reaction when he was young and it was one of the scariest things I ever saw.
#1 son has never been in the hospital before,never had any surgeries,and really never had been sick that much, so this is all trial and error stuff tonight.
Luckily he had a very good nurse,who administered slowly and watched him very closely.
The orthopedic doctor told him it was not a typical break and he was afraid there was more damage than was showing up on the x-ray. He ordered a CT-scan but left before they got it done.
D-in-love's dad came in about 1 am and relieved us to come home and get some sleep.He doesn't sleep well at night anyway ans said he didn't mind staying the night with him. Thank goodness for night owls !!! I've prayed til I fell God is tired of hearing my voice ,although I know in my heart He never gets tired of hearing us. The pulse in the foot on the injured leg is slower than the other foot and has to be checked regularly all night,if he loses the pulse they will have to do emergency surgery to relieve the swelling to prevent loss of use.
There is some very unfortunate circumstances surrounding the timing of this injury also,I"ll talk about that in a later post. Right now we are just looking forward to that humorous,smiling face being painfree and on the road to recover!I would appreciate prayers for all our family as we carry on and move forward.
God Bless everyone.


Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh My Gosh, Marilyn.... I am so very very sorry... I can only imagine the pain he has... Because I have had alot of pain with my 'little' meniscus tear problem in the knee. SO---I know what he's going through---which is 100 times worse than mine. I'm so very very sorry.

The good news is that he is young and healthy---and he will heal (probably quicker than I will)....

My love and prayers are with ALL of you...

Gail said...

Oh, my goodness! You have been tested. Good healing thoughts coming your way.

NCmountainwoman said...

Prayers from here for certain. I'll be thinking of you and your family in days to come.

Amy H. said...

Thank you for being so helpful you are a great mother-in-love!!! I was just telling Tracy today how thankful I am that we are all so close and willing to do anything for each other. I can't imagine what I'd do if I didn't have family to help. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I love you!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hey, I had to read back and find out what happened. Those trampolines are terrible for injuries..hopefully your son will recover:)