Monday, July 30, 2012

SALSA DAY AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT DANCING !!

G-son was tired after his exciting weekend and slept until almost 9:00 this morning. I got the chores done and had breakfast before he stirred.
After getting him something to eat I did an exercise tape and took a short walk. I needed to pick up my new glasses. Unfortunately they weren't right and the guy that does the adjustments wasn't there when I got there ,so I'll have to go back another day because I really didn't have the time to wait around today. I had a long list of "to do's" for today.
After g-son and I had lunch I tackled that list. First I cleaned out my two setting boxes up in the hen lot and put a couple of non-stop setters in them. I put all of today's eggs under the white silkie that has been setting for quite some time in the regular hen house but I've been confiscating her eggs.
The red silkie will have eggs tomorrow.
Then I moved on to the small pillows I had cut out last week for my 30 minutes of promised sewing time today. Now they just need to be stuffed and closed.
Now it was time for the main job of the day. Hubbie picked tomatoes last night and came in with 1/2 bushel,so I need to make salsa.
The remainder of the afternoon was spent turning these into salsa.
After blanching and cutting them up I added bell peppers and onions to the pot along with some vinegar and a couple packets of Mrs. Wages salsa making spices.
When all this cooked down a bit the house was filled with a wonderful aroma,even g-son followed his nose into the kitchen to see what was going on.
I filled my hot jars and put them into a water bath canner for 40 minutes and this is the finished product.
Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with the rest of the tomatoes in this basket plus more that ripen today.
Most of our tomatoes are the heirloom variety,they don't look to pretty and smooth but the taste is excellent.
Just as I took the canner off the stove a lady came to buy some of my silkie chicks.
I did evening cores after I finished with her and then got ready for church.
We are having the celebration of life service for my dear friend Rhonda tonight.

It was a beautiful service and they had to bring in chairs to seat folks in the aisles. I saw a lot of our classmates and some old friends who had traveled back here for the service. Rhonda is definitely smiling down tonight at all the friends and loved ones who came to pay tribute to her tonight.
There was a reception after the service and it was still very crowded when hubbie and I left for home at 9:00.
I am going to bed early tonight because tomorrow's list is even longer than today's.
Praying tonight that God be with Rhonda's family and our church as we strive to fill her duties over time. And so grateful for my health and His love each day.
Good Night and God Bless.




2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marilyn, Your salsa made my mouth water. I'm sure it will be enjoyed all winter.... YUM....

Prayers for Rhonda's family.

We had a wonderful day at Biltmore. The sunflowers are blooming and they are awesome.
Hugs,
Betsy

linda m said...

Your salsa looks yummy. Tomato sauce would be my suggestion for the other tomatoes. Prayers for your friend's family.