Sunday, April 26, 2020

MORE BLOOMERS AND CHICK UPDATE

One of those lazy Sunday mornings that I greatly appreciated today as during the night last night I evidently for some unknown reason tried to sling my injured right knee sideways which immediately woke me up in excruciating pain.  After the pain induced sweat dried and the pain eased up I still couldn't find a position that wasn't painful and comfortable enough at the same time to be able to get back to sleep for quite sometime.
My late feeding time for the chickens wasn't noticed because it took a while for the dense fog to left this morning after the overnight rain left another .3inch of rain in the gauge.

However by mid morning the sun had won the battle and it was a beautiful day but windy which seems to be our new normal these days.

After breakfast hubbie started making his tamale pie for lunch along with corn on the cob and new potatoes. I decided to pull some onions and use the lettuce that Deb (d-in-love's mom) brought me Friday along with some I gathered from my raised bed to make the season's first wilted lettuce.

 I had a couple pounds of frozen bacon in the freezer. I thawed one pound of bacon and fried it on the grill.
Everyone was glad to see the wilted lettuce on the table today.
#1 son's family, #2 son and Tif  and daughter and her family all made it lunch today and we all enjoyed the food and visit.
After everyone left I sat all my tomato and pepper plants outside and mixed up some Aphid spray to douse them down with to hopefully kill the pest that are trying to feast on the plants.
I also put away some laundry and then hubbie and I walked down to #1 son's house. We were planning to all get back together here tonight and roast marshmallows over an outside fire pit but the wind is blowing so hard we couldn't find a spot that wasn't windy at eight place or dauhgter's house so we decided to postpone that to another day.
On the way back up I walked around the yard to check out all the different Iris that are now joining the two tone purple that started blooming. This is another two-toned purple that is more drastic than the first ones.

These tan and maroon colored ones are pretty this year.

And the plain yellow ones are bright.

This Weigela is pretty this year.

Hubbie and I have been watching the guineas each day when we here a cackling in the bushes on the hill in front of the house and figured the hens were laying eggs there. After an extensive search and when I was actually turning around to get out of the briars and brambles and give up the search I saw the nest filled with eggs tucked safely under some of the larger saw briars.
There was 20 eggs in the nest. I took 17 out and left 3 marked eggs in there in hopes the hens will continue to lay where I can find them.

I don't have any setters right now and am not having great luck this year with hatching percentages under the silkies so I am probably going to buy an incubator tomorrow if I can find anywhere that has one. I have an old one downstairs and last resort will get it out and see if it stills runs.
Speaking of Silkie hatching percentage I was very disappointed in the last hatch that happened over the last couple days. This white hen only hatched these 3 little chicks from 7 eggs that were under her.

Update on the other hens......
This is first setter who had the best percentage of 5 out of 7 eggs hatched and these 5 chicks are doing very well.

Second wasn't as good as this hen hatched these 2 little black silkie chicks out of 5 eggs but these 2 chicks are doing well.

The fourth setter who was and still is a crazy little lady is still sitting on 2 guinea eggs and 1 silkie egg that are due to hatch Wednesday.

You can see why I don't have a lot of confidence in the mama hen setters and it is a bit strange that some of my best mama's have not attempted to set yet this season. I did put 3 wooden eggs into one of the silkie house nest tonight to see if that might encourage a setter in case neither of my incubator ideas pan out.
I was glad to get to sit down tonight and put a heating pad on my aching knee. I will changed to ice when I get into bed tonight to see if they both will make it feel better so I can get a good night's sleep to make up for last night.
Thankful for family and all the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night




No comments: