Tuesday, April 5, 2011

DAMAGING STORMS PASS THROUGH

Last night was a nerve racking night. With thunder,lightening, pouring rain and wind that blew so hard there was massive damage all around.We here in our neighborhood are in the lucky minority this morning who still have power. Some places will be without power until tomorrow night.
The sun is shining and besides branches and things blown all around the yard there is not much evidence of the horrible night time storm.
They started about midnight and lasted until at least 3 am or that's when I finally went to sleep.
The wind is still blowing today but not near as hard as it did last night.
I spent the cool morning as the temperatures aren't going to get out of the 40's today inside doing laundry and housework.
I've been mad at my washer for taking so long to wash each load and today I found out why when I took the hoses lose and looked at the screens and found the cold water completely clogged with black sand and grit. It made all the difference in the world in the time it took to do a load after it was cleaned out.
This is extra laundry week at the beginning of the month and I got all the extra covers and bed clothes washed except for one blanket.
When Hubbie got home from work we started putting my shed together and #1 son and g-son came by to help. The reviews on the internet said 2 people could put it together in 3 hours. Hubbie and #1 son had the job done in 1/2 that time with a little direction from me !!!
Daughter came home and started her baking while g-son came inside out of the cool wind and watched TV.
For another weather change we are under a freeze warning tonight with 29 degrees expected.
Things are really blooming and growing now so I hope it doesn't hurt things to bad.
This is my first blooming azalea of the year.
This bed of hosta is just at the tender stage.
One of my favorite early woodland flowers is these woods hyacinths .
My new schedule kicked in tonight as I baked 6 caramel, 2 coconut,2 chocolate,2 pound and 2 blackberry wine cakes.
We have 2 orders for Thursday so at least it won't be a total waste.
Grateful to God for escaping damage from last night's storm and for the beautiful day that followed the storm.
Good Night and God Bless.

3 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That's exactly what happened here in the Crossville area, Marilyn. Trees down, telephone poles snapped, electricity out for about 6000. BUT--we got lucky here. We are fine--thanks be to God.. Glad you all are also.

Your Azalea is gorgeous. Ours are not even thinking about blooming yet...

Have a good day at work tomorrow...
Hugs,
Betsy

Gail said...

I am so glad everyone is safe. The potential for destruction was riding on that front.

jeanlivingsimple said...

We also had damage but myself and family are thankfully safe. Glad yours was also. This was a scary storm. Had a crying cat in my lap during the rough parts.:(
Love the photos of your spring sprouts and blooms.:)