Saturday, February 16, 2013

FIRST MEASURABLE SNOWFALL SURPRISE

The alarm and the phone sounded at the same time this morning. #1 son called checking in from work to let me know there was nothing on the roads at least yet. He works for the DOT as I have said before and is spending this Saturday since 6am waiting in his salt truck for the promised messy roads.
Hubbie and I got ready for market ,watching the sky all along.
We turned my laptop to the weather radar when we got to market and watched the bulk of the snow and ice skirt south and east of our area.
Market was very slow today with not many customers braving the mid 30's temps and blowing snow showers.
About 1:00 I noticed the snow pick up and the flakes get larger so I started packing up and then the manager decided she would just close market so everyone could get home safely just in case this wasn't another passing shower.
I made it home with no problem and the sun soon came out and melted all the snow.
Hubbie and I relaxed and watched UNC/ Virginia  b-ball game which UNC won.
At chore time the temperature had already dropped below freezing and the water was frozen in all the waterers.
All the animals went to bed early in their nice warm houses and settled in for the night.
After supper I snuggled with my 4-legged kids on the couch and watched the fire flames in the woodstove. I love to relax and watch the dancing flames inside the glass door on a cold winter night.
The phone jolted me out of my nice rest around 9pm with #1 son on the other end asking if I had watched the weather lately. He said how long is this snow going to last ? I said what snow I was just outside with the dogs an hour ago and there wasn't anything here. As I looked out the window I got a real surprise as the ground was covered and it was still snowing pretty hard.

With the temperature already at 24 degrees this snow fall isn't going anywhere and the road by our house is a slick sleet of ice as cars are sliding in the ditches. Luckily all the cattle and horses are in the upper pasture so we shut the gate so we can check the fence along the road in the morning before they get down there.
I checked with daughter and she said there wasn't hardly anything at her house just a few miles from here.
It is still snowing lightly at 11pm so we may have an interesting morning.
Grateful to God for the blessings of today and praying for His loving arms of safety around my family and all who must be out in this mess tonight and tomorrow.
Good Night and God Bless.



2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad you got some snow. We had a dusting here --but not much more. It's VERY cold though...

Had a wonderful vacation in Arkansas.
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Hope all is well with you and hours this morning.