Monday, May 6, 2013

FLOODING AFTERMATH

Woke to sunshine streaming through the bedroom window this morning !!! G-son was here at 7:00 so hubbie took him to school while I did morning chores and assessed the flooding still around our place.
This is the front pasture around 9am.
And this was the lower back pasture.
With the water still too high to see how much fence damage we have hubbie and I decided to run our errands this morning. I went to the baby shower at daughter's Saturday so I had to pick up my baking supplies today along with getting my glasses tightened,and making a much needed trip to Sam's Club.
We got home around lunch time.
After we ate we headed down to the pastures to check out the fences. Luckily there was only one bottom wire broken along the road fence and not much debris caught in the fences either.
Annie knows the creek water is way too high and swift for a dip today.
The water level is usually at least 8 feet below this bridge,but not this afternoon !! You can see how high the water was by the debris caught on the side of the bridge.
Of course I did a lot of bird watching while hubbie tossed the trash off the fences with a pitchfork. These mallards were all male today,I didn't see any females. Maybe they are all nesting somewhere safe !!


These little sand pipers were darting all around just the way they do on the beach.
I caught this sand piper coming in for a landing between these mallards.
These two Canadian Geese followed me all around. I assumed someone has been feeding them by the way they acted.

Even these turtles didn't make any effort to escape from the warm sunshine that has been so scarce lately.
I came back to the house and went to pick up g-son from school.
He ate then played outside for most of the afternoon. I felt the temperature drop significantly this evening as the sun went down. It feels like a fall evening instead of a mid May evening.
#1 son had to work over this evening clearing the land slide off one of the local roads.
Here he is on the left discussing the clean-up plan.
This is him in the trackhoe.
They worked on this one slide all day. There were numerous slides from all the rain.
Here I emptied another 1 1/2 inches from the gauge this morning bringing the total since Saturday evening to 6 inches !!!
And now they say tonight is going to bring more heavy rain as another band of this slow moving system comes over our area.
#1 son came after g-son at 7:30 tonight after he got off work.
Hubbie and I are nursing sore muscles after our activity this afternoon. His back is hurting and I slipped in the mud and popped my knee so it is really hurting tonight. At 10:00 it is 49 degrees.
Tonight folks are saying the French Broad River is higher than it has been in years. Floodwaters are not receding quickly at all after all the soaking rain of the last couple weeks and with the forecast of more rain it is just going to get higher.
Thanking God tonight for the safety of family and friends and for the blessings He sent my way today.
Good Night and God Bless.











No comments: