Monday, September 9, 2013

CAST IRON COBBLER

Up and out to start the day after hubbie took g-son to school. #1 son is off today but hubbie needs to take some caution tape down where he painted some playground equipment Friday over at the school so he took him.
#1 son has to spend the morning waiting on AT&T and Dish TV folks to come get his utilities hooked up.
Hubbie and I made a trip to Southern States and Sam's Club to get feed and groceries this morning.
It is a sunshiny day but feels like it is going to be a hot one even this morning.
After lunch we worked outside on some little jobs until  #1 son called hubbie to go with him to Arden to haul his flooring home.
I came inside and got ready to go pick up g-son. I took some crocheting to pass the waiting time and crocheted one top on a towel. That is pretty good since I haven't taken time to make any of these towels in a while this will be good if I can get one made each day.
We came home and he ate mac and cheese then continually raided the freezer and cabinets for texas toast, french toast sticks and cookies until his dad brought him some cheese sticks from Sonic.
After they got here with the flooring ,#1 son made a trip to Goodwill with a load of things.
I did August monthly paperwork and was pleasantly surprised with the totals for the month as they were some of the best I've ever had.
After chores I worked on my blog book for awhile and got into the middle of February.
With each book I make I learn more ways to improve them.
With no pictures tonight I will pass on a recipe that I really like.
I make a fruit cobbler many times using any "in season" fruit. 

First I melt a stick of margarine or butter in an old cast iron skillet in a 350 degree oven. While this is melting I mix together...
1 cup flour (i use self rising but any will do)
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole milk

I wash or peel my fruit, about 2 cups but depending on the fruit I always have enough to cover the top of the mixture.

Take the hot skillet out of the oven and add the flour/sugar/milk mixture
Top this with the fruit and bake until golden brown on top. Usually takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

This is delicious and simple but I will warn you it doesn't taste the same in any other baking dish other than the cast iron skillet.

Grateful for today's blessing and praying that I glorify God' s name in all that I do.
Good Night and God Bless.

1 comment:

linda m said...

Sounds like you had a very productive day. Boy, does that fruit cobbler sound good. Using a cast iron skillet for baking cobbler in, is a new idea for this Northerner. Will have to try it some day. Have a very blessed day.