Monday, January 5, 2015


After chores I called the vet's office while hubbie and I ate breakfast. Bernie coughed alot again last night and he is sounding very congested in his lungs.
They gave me a 11:30 appointment so we had time to run some errands before we went.
We went to Southern States to pick up chicken feed and then to Belks to check out their sales. Hubbie found a couple new dress shirts and I found a pair of boots like I have been wanting but the sales were still not the low prices they usually have so I am waiting for the 85% off racks !!
We came home with just enough time to put things away and get Bernie.
Poor Bernie hates the vet's office and shook violently the whole time we were there.
Good news I guess from the vet. After an x-ray of his windpipe and heart they saw nothing wrong, but we still have a coughing dog so he prescribed him some people medicine. Lomotil which for us is an anti-diarrea drug but he said in dogs it seems to quiet a cough very well.  It is the first in a long line of meds he said we could try.
The drugist looked surprised when we told her it was for a dog !! ??
We got home at 12:30 so that wasn't bad at all. I hate going to the vet because it seems every time I go there is an animal there that is hurt or really sick and it makes me so sad to see that. Today was no different as we sat in the waiting room a man came in the door carrying a beagle completely covered except for blood streaked feet and legs and said it was attacked in his yard by a Pit Bull. There was a deputy sheriff following him back to the operating room.
Fortunately this man came out when we were waiting to pay and I asked how the dog was and he said they thought she was going to be okay after sewing up 20+ puncture wounds all over her body. I was glad we saw him before we left and got the news.
While we ate lunch #2 son , who is off this week on a week of his vacation for this year , came by to borrow some yard work tools and a wheel barrow. He is going to work on re-landscaping his yard.
I followed him back home to bring some of the flowers and plants home he was digging up. I brought them home and we planted them in the garden until warmer weather. I don't know what some of them are.
Hubbie spent the afternoon changing the transmission filter and fluid in daughter' s jeep, she is still trying to decide on selling it or not.
I did three loads of laundry , glad to be in the warm house. The temperature outside is 42 but with the wind it feels much colder.
This winter storm that is bringing us our coldest weather of the season and more than a foot of snow in the nothern states has a name today, Gorgon .
When Wednesday rolls around for us the jet steam will be all the way south into northern Florida and in the early morning Thursday they are predicting -20 degree chill factors here with around 5 degrees and  high winds.
There was another beautiful sunset today.
Almost waited to late to get a pic tonight.
Hubbie and I watched a UNC/ Notre Dame game tonight which ND won by one point,boo !!
Grateful to God tonight for the love He shows all His children.
Good Night and God Bless.


linda m said...

Sure hope you find something that works for Bernie. I know what you mean about sitting around at the vets and seeing the injured and sick animals. Happy to hear the dog will be okay. It is very cold here - below zero temps with bad wind chills. Thankful to God I have a nice warm house to live in. Stay warm and safe. Blessings

Sandy said...

Carolina Nana,

Sorry to hear your Bernie has a cough. Hopefully, this medication will resolve the coughing issues.
Give Bernie a scratch behind his ears for me :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Poor Bernie, I hope he improves:)