Friday, January 30, 2015

WINDY COLD DAY

BRRRR  , The wind outside this morning will definitely "blow your hat in the creek" as my dad used to say.
The chill factor is still in the low teens with the mid 20's temps of the morning. None of the animals looked thrilled with me when I opened their warm house doors , letting the cold wind inside.
I was glad to get back inside my warm house and close the door behind me , that's for sure.
I spent the morning baking cakes, 2 chocolate , 5 pound and 1 blackberry wine cake before lunchtime.
As I waited for the last ones to come out of the ovens I looked for material to make a "draft dodger" order for tomorrow.  Draft dodgers are those long skinny stuffed noodles that stop the drafts under doors and windows.
These are the four I made today.
These are all for standard 36 inch doors.  It took longer to stuff the long narrow tubes than to do the sewing.
My back was hurting after I finished the handwork on these so I decided to take a hot tea and reading break. I finished a local history book I have been reading so I can move on to the second book by the same author.
When hubbie came home we did chores and then relaxed to watch the news. The wind damaged some town homes in Fletcher when a couple large pine trees blew down into them. #1 son and the DOT were called in to help move the trees to get the road open again. There was a picture of him in his trackhoe on the news tonight. Thankfully no one was injured in the homes the trees fell on.
Power was out in several places as trees fell all across the county in the high winds.
The high temperature today was 38 keeping the chill factor in the low 20's with wind gust up to 50mph.
It seems lately that I am introducing a new winter storm each day now. The 12th storm, Linus, formed and is heading across the country for the weekend. Bringing us only rain thankfully.
This is a picture out my living room window this afternoon. The sunshine looks very inviting but the wind made you change your mind about being outside in a hurry.
Annie is staying curled up against the wind while she enjoys the warm sunshine.The busy little birds emptied all the bird feeders today and then we watched them take cover in the birdhouses hanging on the porch out of the wind this evening.
I am very thankful that we kept our power through the day, unlike a lot of folks across the county.
As this month comes to an end I am looking forward to what God has in store for me and my family in the coming month.   Thankful for today's blessings.
Good Night and God Bless




1 comment:

linda m said...

I don't mind the cold but when the wind picks up then I mind. Glad you are safe. Nice picture out your front window. Blessings