Friday, January 23, 2015


Up extra early this morning at 7:15 when d-in-love brought g-son by for me to take to school. She had a class and had to be in Mills River at 8am.
G-son wanted to go in the front door so I parked and walked him in.  For some reason he said he never wanted to be dropped off in the car rider line ???
As I drove home in a drizzly rain I noticed the van thermometer was hanging right at the freezing point.
I didn't notice any white tops on the mountains just a rainy fog on this cold day.
Back home I did chores and had breakfast, checked on Re and the kids. She said she had a good night and they were doing fine.
I baked my cakes, 6 caramel, 1 coconut, 1 chocolate , 1 pound and 1 blackberry wine cake.
I had lunch then did some cleaning while waiting for the cakes to cool enough to ice.
I went ahead and iced the 6 caramel cakes this afternoon before doing the chores early.
Out at the high school tonight they are honoring all the basketball players and cheerleaders from my old high school.
I went on out early to watch daughter's game which they won handily by about 15 points,they were playing county rival East Henderson.

I sat through the JV boys and the varsity girls game, remembering what it was like to have your butt go numb from sitting on the hard bleacher.
Daughter and me watching the JV boy's game.

Hubbie came out after he ate supper, during the girls game.  A friend, Renda Beddingfield Bracket, that I graduated and played basketball with came and sat with me and we had a nice catch-up visit. We were the only two 1972 graduates. We are in the center of this pic in the bleachers, Renda has on a blue sweater leaning over to talk to me.
The varsity girls won their game handily also. In this pic is the head coach giving directions as the players and daughter look on.

Between the girls and boys games we were all called out on the court and recognized when they called our name and year we graduated. I was impressed by the number of players there were there. The line reached from one end of the court to the other. More girl players than anybody else.
All us women know each other, even with the distance in years between us from the early 60's to the closing of Edneyville in 1993 and have formed a close knit group of basketball "sisters".

 Everyone loved to do the victory circle we always did after each game we won.

These are the men which were fewer in numbers but we all had a fun visit during  half time in the boys game and were served refreshments  while we visited.

It was a great time had by all and we appreciate the recognition given by the staff at the new high school. I also enjoyed visiting with a long time friend, Pam Green Kurfees, who was a cheerleader in her days at Edneyville and just lived up the road from us ,they had moved away after her husband took another job in Kentucky. They now live in Johnson City , Tenn.
When we got home I iced the chocolate and coconut cake, wrapped everything and got ready for market.
I am tired after an eventful day.
Feeling very grateful to God this evening for the memories I shared tonight and for God's grace and blessings as I grew up in this wonderful community and the many friends I have made along the way.
Good Night and God Bless.

No comments: