Friday, June 17, 2016

BAKING FRIDAY AND 1966 MEMORIES

My first Friday morning alone in such a long time started early with barking dogs inside and outside. I got up to see what was causing all the excitement and heard the howls of an early morning coyote chase.  Guess they not only howl at the moon but also at the rising sun !!!!
I did chores and had breakfast to get the day off to a good start. I took a nice walk but stayed on the hill this morning with the dogs all tagging along.
After my walk I stopped at the garden and pulled some weeds for the chickens and brought some spinach and onions in for my lunch.
I had devotions and an extra cup of tea before beginning my baking chores for the day.
I baked 6 caramel. 1 chocolate, 1 pound and 2 blackberry wine cakes before having a late lunch.
After lunch I looked at a long list of "to do's" for this week that haven't been done and took another cup of tea out in the sunroom and sat down !!!   Guess there is always next week !!!
I felt like I needed a little alone time break this afternoon and enjoyed watching squirrels chase each other around under the quail cage squabbling over the spilled bird seed.
After hubbie got home from work we watched the news and then did chores.
I spent the evening icing cakes and getting things ready for market.
While I grew up I remember the huge garden we always had each year. My dad would work it with his tractor and regular row crop cultivators so we had to hoe very little. My mom always canned or froze all our winter vegetables from this garden plus we ate delicious fresh vegetables all summer from it.


These pics are my brothers , Rick age 5 and Robert age 9 showing off their gardening skills while I made photos.

And my mom poses with both brothers.
These are pics of our cattle at that time.


And this is the same farm pond we have now only much more water back then.
I was 11 years old in that June and liked pretty things. For some reason my cousin Pat from Michigan sent me her prom dress that year to wear. I remember keeping that dress for years but never had anywhere to wear a dress that fancy !!!
On this father's day eves eve these pics bring back memories of my hard working dad and how he loved farming the land and providing for his family.
Thankful for a wonderful blessed life and for the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night.





No comments: