Sunday, May 24, 2020

FIRST HERB DRYING OF THE SEASON

As i went back through all the Ring camera images of the night I noticed how early it is getting light now. This image was taken at 5:40am .
The fog moved in a little later as daylight came.
I got out to get chores done in the muggy morning sunshine. The air feels really juicy this morning and storms are predicted for this afternoon once again.
I gathered lettuce from my raised bed and cut most of 2 varieties almost all down to the stems, hoping they will come back with some sunshine. I had to go through the leaves a couple times and wash them and run them through the salad spinner to get them clean from all the splashed mud .
We still have 1 variety to eat on during the week.
We had cooked beef roast in the crockpot overnight and had new potatoes , corn on the cob, green beans and biscuits to go with the wilted lettuce today. Everyone made it to lunch today. #1 son's family, #2 son and d-in-love Tif, daughter's family and Aa's family.
This little girl loves corn on the cob.

All the kids enjoyed playing with each other for a little while until the dark clouds looked like it was going to rain any minute and we could hear thunder coming our way.
Everyone left and the storm thankfully passed to the south of us leaving us with only .25 inch of rain in the gauge for the day.
I put away laundry and then rested out in the sunroom watching the guineas in the back yard. The hen guinea has decided to go broody and I worry about something getting her at night as she sits on her nest but I can't deter her from it. The male guineas take turns during the day guarding her and they are so funny flying around and trying to see who is her favorite.
When the herbs dried out enough from the rain I gathered the first drying batches of the season. I gathered a small amount of the Stevia that managed to survive the winter.
Also the Sage was ready for a haircut.
I still have plenty of Oregano growing in the bed outside the basement window.

And I dried some of this really strong smelling Mountain Mint probably to use as insect repellent.
This winter green house rack now turns into a summer herb drying rack.
I always dry my herbs between white paper towels so it retains it's green color.
 I found this nice Eastern Painted Tortoise laying her eggs on the bank below the house.
We got chores done and then relaxed for the evening to finish out a nice Blessing filled Sunday.
Thankful for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
God Bless and Good Night



No comments: