Tuesday, May 19, 2020

RAINY DAY and FIRST FOOD PRESERVATION OF THE SEASON

Up to another rainy morning. There was some really heavy showers of rain last night and i was surprised when there was only another .75 inch in the gauge this morning.
One thing it did do was make all my shepherd hooks fall over but thankfully none of the flower pots spilled out or broke, they just seem to sit down. I just moved the pots from the steps on this one and stood the hook back up without anything on it. Guess I'll just have to come up with a better way to stabilize them.

I got chores done and had boiled eggs and grits for breakfast. My tag is out on my Honda at the end of this month so hubbie took it to get an inspection this morning. He had to go to 2 different shops before he could get it done. The first shop we usually go to said their inspection license expired and with all the schools closed they couldn't get it renewed. Another covid -19 problem.
Just as he was getting home daughter and the girls arrived. Daughter is one of the teachers that always sets up graduation each year and this year she is working overtime trying to get the virtual graduation organized so she will be busy all day in a quiet place while we watch the girls.
CA loves for her older sister to play with her.

D-in-love had some errands to run today and RL wanted to ride along so we missed her today, especially IR did.
After daughter and the girls left hubbie and I turned these 2 cabbage heads that daughter bought for us Saturday into our first experiment with fermented sauerkraut.

These old Kerr canning jars are half gallons and won't fit in any canner I have so I'm glad to find a use for them.
This was super easy as we just shredded the cabbage and then I added salt and mixed it with my hands for about 10 minutes or until the cabbage wilted and became juicy.
I packed it into the jars and added weights of jelly jars filled with pie weights to keep all the cabbage under the juice.
This method doesn't take long to ferment and after only 3 days we can start tasting it until we get it to the taste we want. I'm excited to see how this turns out because fermented foods are so good for you.
We had a short break in the rain this evening, there was 1.7 inches in the gauge this evening, and while I was out getting chores done I decided to gather some of the big Kale leaves and put them in the freezer for smoothies.
 The first 3 bags of food preservation for this garden season !!!
I also sauteed some Kale for supper and it was delicious.
I talked to Bobby the chairman of the market board today and  he sounded so defeated. Market business is so down from all this virus scare and he said there were no sellers even braving the market much less customers. He said it was very discouraging.
I am one of 2 board members that thinks market should have shut down and we should have applied for the small business grant to keep up bills in case a lot of vendors decide to give up their space.
But with a 5 person board I am in the minority so that's how it goes. Bobby was one of the 3 stay open votes but by the way he sounded today he might be regretting that vote. Only time will tell how this all turns out but I surely don't feel safe going back to market yet and have no idea when I will feel safe. To make me even more certain I'm making the right decision I listened to Bobby tell about a van load of folks from New York that came into market last week without mask or practicing social distancing rules they have set up. New York is one of the "hot spots" for this virus in the country.
I think there is going to be a major change in the way things are done in this country because this virus isn't going away anytime soon and already things look very different is folks do what they are supposed to do to keep down the spread of the virus.
Circles are drawn in the grass of this park to keep folks separated.
 Sanitizing is constant in all businesses.
 Even these migrant workers waiting to be picked up for work all have face coverings as suggested.
I just pray everyday that we stay healthy and we are doing everything we know to do to keep the virus at bay.
This evening for me was spent catching up on paperwork and paying bills. I still can't seem to find a new weekly schedule to get this done so it took twice as long tonight because I forgot to do any of it last week.
Thankful for another blessing filled day and praying constantly of the protecting arms of Jesus Christ.
God Bless and Good Night






1 comment:

linda m said...

Your experiment in making sauerkraut looks very interesting. Can't wait to hear the report from you. My Church sent out a survey last night to see how we want to reopen. Can
t wait to get back to Church services again. Blessings