Thursday, May 14, 2020

TRANSPLANTING DAY FINALLY

A cloudy morning today but it is warm so we'll take that !!
I got chores done and then hubbie and I headed over to daughter's house to pick up her garbage and recyclables and also picked up IR and CA to ride along with us this morning. Daughter and son-in-love want to work on getting their garage cleaned out this morning since they got a storage building.
We met my egg customer first and gave her 4 dozen eggs, then we headed to the dump / recycle center where IR was excited to see a wild turkey again today but was disappointed because the deer we previously saw wasn't around today.
We left there and went by Fletcher feed to pick up chicken feed, straw bales, fertilizer and lime for the garden planting we are planning this afternoon.
Our last stop was at the gas station and I was pleasantly surprised to see the station attendant spraying disinfectant on all the gas nozzles between each customer.
I stayed in the truck with the girls at all the stops and hubbie wore his mask and gloves each time he got out so we stayed as safe as we could.
The positive covid-19 test rate was over 700 in the state in the last 24 hours which is the worst increase since testing began.
I believe a lot of folks are not taking this threat seriously anymore and that is going to lead to many more deaths and much more sickness in the coming days.
We are being as careful and smart as we can and have faith that God helps those who help themselves.
We dropped the girls back at daughter's house on our way home and came home to have lunch.
After we ate I carried all these plants that I have been taking care of in the sunroon greenhouse for over a month and got ready to get them in the ground.

Hubbie tilled the rows while I mapped out what we would plant in each row. Then I dug the hills in each row and added a handful of lime to each tomato hole.
Hubbie crawled along on his kneepads and put the plants in the holes I made for them.


 Then I carried water and gave each plant a good soaking as they went into the dry ground.
Daughter and son-in-love stopped by with the girls to bring a bunch of scraps to the chickens and IR helped hubbie with the last few plants.


CA was curious about what goes in the watering can and loved crawling around in the green grass.




After they left hubbie and I came inside for a light supper and then headed back outside to get chores done. I moved the black silkie hen into the cleaned out brooder box I moved the white silkie and her 2 black silkie chicks out of this last night.  They seemed to be co-parenting fine this  morning but later in the day I caught the first hen with the 4 chicks pecking her own chicks away from the food dish. I watched her on and off while we worked in the garden and she had the other hen afraid to go into the house where the feed was and was still pecking her own chicks routinely for "who knows why" so she got moved back into the regular silkie lot. Her chicks are fully feathered and will be fine with only the other hen in with them.  I'll have to watch her tomorrow and make sure she isn't being mean to the chicks.
The red silkie I put on all the guinea eggs I found yesterday is settled on those eggs great and I added a couple silkie eggs to her brood tonight in case the guinea eggs don't hatch.
I marked the white Silkie hen who had the 2 guinea eggs under her , well sometimes under her and sometimes all around her. She did not do a good job setting and continuously moved the eggs so they never hatched. I broke the eggs open when took her off them and they both had little guineas in various stages of development so it was her movement probably on the colder nights that caused them to not hatch. I marked her with green food coloring so I can make sure she doesn't get another chance to set on eggs , at least until the green die goes away !!
Hubbie and I drained one of our big gutter water catchers tonight and cleaned it out since it is supposed to be a rainy week next week we need to catch all the water we can.
I also moved some hen and chick succulents into a strawberry pot out of the broken pot they were in. I have never had much luck with these strawberry planters but we will see what happens this time.

Hubbie and I were both glad to get inside at dark and get off our feet.
Thankful for the ability to work like we did today and thankful for all the blessings of this day including the ability to grow our own food.
God Bless and Good Night




No comments: