Saturday, July 4, 2020

FOURTH OF JULY CELEBRATION 2020

Happy 244th birthday America !!!!

Up to a sunny  already uncomfortably warm summer morning.

 I got chores done and then came in to have a nice breakfast before making a cake delivery.
I came home from the delivery and gathered all my zuchinni squash along with some bell peppers d-in-law wasn't going to use and a couple onions and got enough chopped up for a run of zuchinni relish.

 I've never tried this but it looks like it would be very good especially for hot dog relish.
I have almost 1/2 bushel of zuchinni from the garden so I needed something to do with some of it.
After chopping all of it I had to add salt and let it sit in ice water for 2 hours.

While it sat I did a load of sheets and then cleaned out my incubator. I am very disappointed once again in the percent of hatch I got. None of the 8 guinea eggs hatched and there were 8 chicken eggs than didn't hatch. I have 10 chicks only but they are doing great so far.
I broke the eggs and was surprised to also once again see fully formed chicks and guinea keets in many of the unhatched eggs. So what am I doing wrong that I am loosing so many chicks ????
When the 2 hours were up I rinsed the salt off the vegetables and added some mustard seed, celery seed, sugar and vinegar and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes. I canned 9 jars of the relish and they all sealed. The recipe said it would take 4-6 weeks for the flavor of the relish to develop so I didn't even taste it yet.


I also chopped up , vacuum sealed and froze these 5 bags of zuchinni.

Hubbie and I got chores done early then he made some slaw and we cooked the corn wee had bought earlier in the week and I filled the ice cream churn with homemade ice cream fixings and we headed over to join the rest of the family at Aa's house for our annual fourth of July cook out and fireworks.
#1 son and Aa made a trip to South Carolina this morning to purchase fireworks.
The kids have been there swimming since earlier this afternoon.





 This idea for a deck and pool slide was a great one and the kids sure enjoyed sliding into the pool.

Everyone enjoyed a delicious meal which we all contributed too and there was so much good food as usual.

The moon was so pretty as it rose behind some fleeting clouds.



The fireworks were great and everyone enjoyed them especially the kids.

















Hubbie and I go home around 10:30 and hit the bed very tired after a very busy and fun day.
I am so thankful for the family and friends I have been blessed with.
Thankful for all the blessings of this day.
God Bless, Good Night and Happy Independence Day to all !




No comments: