Wednesday, October 20, 2021

JELLY MAKING, POTATO DIGGING DAY

 Another 35 degree morning even though all the forecast were for the temps to stay in the low 40's. It warmed up quicker today though as I did chores in my coveralls it got warm before before I got back inside. I ate breakfast with CA and hubbie who daughter dropped off while I was outside. We played the morning away and daughter picked up CA on her way to pick up IR as son-in-love took the day off and was meeting her there. After they left hubbie and I ate lunch and then went up to the garden to start digging our potatoes. We planted left over potatoes this spring so we never know what we'll get when we do that but were pleasantly surprised to get a bushel box of nice potatoes out of   a little over one row.



Hubbie had a dentist appointment at 2:00 so we stopped digging and he left for the dentist and I got these apple peelings from the refrigerator and put them on the stove to prepare for jelly making.
I did some ironing and clothes sorting while the peelings simmered. Then I strained the juice off and made 12 jars of beautiful delicious apple jelly.
I was just taking them out of the waterbath canner when hubbie came home. One of his fillings had fallen out but they didn't have time to repair it today so he has to make another appointment to go back.
We rested for a little while then went back to the garden to dig more potatoes. Another bushel box from another row .  This years harvest is about the same as last years when we had bought all new seed potatoes so that is good. These rows today are Kennebecs which are the usual ones we grow. We have one experimental row of Yukon Golds that we will dig last that a neighbor told us always keep better than Kennebecs so we wanted to try them. We have eaten some of them and they taste the same as Kennebecs.
We have 2 more rows of Kennebecs and the row of Yukon Golds left to dig. We had some help as soon as the guineas saw us turning fresh soil they came in the garden to check for worms and bugs in the fresh soil.
We came inside to watch the news then went back outside to get chores done.  I must have pulled a muscle under my left arm and it is hurting pretty bad especially after I iced 6 caramel cakes.  I figured weekly bills and then got a hot bath and an early bedtime.
Thankful for the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night