Friday, October 1, 2021

SHELLING BEANS AND GARDEN CLEANUP

 The first morning of October started out foggy and cool but the sun finally came out and warmed things up to a nice 79 degrees. I got chores done and then had breakfast with CA who daughter had dropped off on her way to take IR to pre-school. Son-in-love is off today so he was with her today. They want to clean out their garage so CA is staying with us this morning. While she played with toys in the floor of the sunroom I shelled the last of my dried beans. These are the Rattlesnake beans I planted.

About an hour and half later I had a bunch of the shelled beans from these. They remind me of the dragon tongue beans.
I jarred up the Cherokee beans that have been drying on this rack. I can't wait to taste these two varieties of beans to see which or if I want to grow more of them next year.
Daughter picked up CA on her way to pick up IR and they were meeting a friend at the park to play awhile.  Hubbie went out to get the lawn mowed and I cleaned another shelf out in the kitchen.  After we both ate a late lunch we went up to the garden to do some more clean up. I picked a half bushel basket full of dried half runner beans from the dead vines to use as seeds if we need them. We have never had this many beans left to go to seed but they gave a late push of beans and no one wanted any beans at that time.  After I picked the beans off we cleaned off the cattle panels the beans grew up on and carried them out of the garden for winter storage.  We are moving everything off the garden this year because we need to have some limbs taken down that are hanging over the garden. Hubbie pulled all the post  and took down some more tomato cages the he used the push mower and cut the grass and weeds very short all over spent garden. Tomorrow we will till up more space and plant more collard seed since these didn't come up after the first 2 plantings and we will put the remaining broccoli and cabbage plants in a row so they can grow out hopefully before cold weather hits.
IR and CA came in to help me with chores this evening and #2 son and d-in-love-Tif came by to pick up her canned beans and the girls begged their uncle into helping with the chores so it made it easy for me.  We had a nice visit and then hubbie and I relaxed for the evening. 
Thankful for the blessings of this day.
God Bless and Good Night



No comments: