Thursday, March 11, 2010

NEW CAMERA

Surprisingly we are still fairly dry this morning,while walking down to open the lower pasture gate it looked only like it might have been a heavy dew. The clouds are still dark and thick so the rains may still be on their way,but it looks like we may have escaped the heaviest part,thankfully because the ground is still very saturated from melting snow.
Had a new visitor at the feeders this morning,I saw him while eating breakfast,but when I came back with my camera he had flown away. He was a Brown Headed Cowbird,here is a file photo of exactly what he looked like...very handsome if I do say so. These birds don't make their own nest,they just lay eggs in other birds nest but because they hatch up to 10 days earlier than most other birds,we can only hope that the other eggs get a good head start! Imagine the mama birds confusion and sadness if she thought only 1 of her eggs hatched!


I did catch this little beauty with my camera this morning,sorry about the blurry picture.Maybe this won't happen again as I'll explain later in my post! Anyway this is a White-Throated Sparrow,note the yellow patches above the eyes. These are the sweetest singers of all the sparrows. Welcome to my dining area little white-throat and I'll be looking forward to your sweet song.


Wouldn't you know as soon as I started out on my errands the rain also decided to start coming down. I had some Avon deliveries to go along with the regular errands,so I slushed through the rain all afternoon,at least I had plenty of company. My last stop was the most favorite of the day.
I have spent several hours lately reviewing cameras on-line to decide which would suit me.
It was hard to decide,there are so many choices and brands to choose from. I narrowed it down to a Canon brand,then to a couple choices, I found several good deals on-line,but was hesitant to order on-line,being a novice at using one of these camera's,what if I got something I didn't like??
So I checked out Sams Club camera area today,found a very helpful lady working there and after much comparing and discussion,I bought this outfit for less than anything I saw on-line. The 75-300 lens is exactly what I wanted and was having a hard time finding available in stores. Now to figure out how to work it!!!!!!! When my kids were young I had a big 35mm camera with a 300mm lens and took classes to learn how to use it manually and became a pretty good photographer,but since that has been about 25 years ago I doubt if that knowledge even if I could remember it would help me now!
Guess the camera will be a project for another day,as I didn't get home until after 5 and it's chore time,supper time and church work night,oh well!
Tomorrow's another day!!
Saying a prayer for daughter's "little sister" tonight as she is having some issues.
Good Night and God Bless.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marilyn, I'm so happy you found your camera. It's similar to mine (Mine is an XSI--a newer version of yours I think).... BUT--you are going to love that long lens. Can't wait to see your pictures--especially of the birds. Congrats.

You are so lucky to see a Cowbird... I've never seen one... Great picture.

We had a wonderful Birthday celebration and got home today!!! I'll post a blog tomorrow morning.
Hugs,
Betsy

Claudia said...

Your camera looks vey nice. I'm sure D-in-love can help you figure how to use it. She's the best with her camera!! She did a grand job with the pics of my princess!!