Wednesday, April 15, 2015

MORE RAIN AND 1955 EASTER

After a rainy night I emptied 7/10ths inch from the gauge this morning and it is still coming down pretty steady.
I feel soggy even in the dry house today.  After breakfast I started baking cakes. I baked 6 caramel cakes for a couple orders tomorrow. I also took an order for 5 cakes on Saturday so gradually market sales are picking up.
After lunch I was looking out at the rain and decided this might be a good day to take my big quilts and non rubber backed rugs to the laundry mat. I loaded them up thinking I would drive by and see if the big machines were in use.
I left about 1:30 and there was a line of cars at the front of the laundry but as I cruised by a lady was removing her laundry from the biggest machines so I lucked out today.
I only needed the biggest machine for all my quilts and one next to it for all the rugs. I took the red table cloth that I had used at market but washed it separately in one of the smallest machines because I didn't want to take a chance on it fading red all over everything.
It took a little longer this trip because with the rainy weather I wanted to get everything completely dry .  It is too damp to hang anything wet in the basement to add more dampness. 

I got home around 3:30 and got everything put away. I still have a small stack of rubber backed rugs to wash out there but need a sunny day to hang them on the line to dry.
I finished the afternoon sewing, I made a baby bonnet, one large bonnet and apron to match plus another apron to reduce my cut out stack by quite a bit. I also took an order for some sewing Saturday so that is always good.

The rain came down hard this afternoon and I emptied 8/10ths inch more at evening chore time to make the total for today  1.5 inches. The ground is really saturated now so we are wondering how much water the creek is going to hold before it floods.
I think we have made up our rain deficit and there is more rain expected for the next several days.
It is 47 degrees tonight and feels colder than that with the dampness. We turned our heat pump back on but resisted the urge to build a fire in the wood stove to combat the damp cold tonight.
I worked on weekly paperwork and payed bills , plus figured my first quarterly taxes of the year.
I iced the cakes and got things ready for market. I hope the forecast is correct and the rain slacks off for the day.
To continue the decade pics this month I found these pictures from April 1955. Easter was on the 10th of April that year and it was my first ever Easter Sunday. I was eight months old at that time.

 Me and my mother,Goldie.


Thank goodness this lady , my Aunt Hattie Holmes was a shutterbug and was always capturing these moments in photos.

She was one of my mother's sisters and this also was my mother's youngest sister, Mary Ruff.

Thankful for the love of Jesus Christ and for the grace He shows me each passing day.
Good Night and God Bless.

No comments: