Wednesday, September 14, 2016

WE ARE GETTING VERY DRY

Woke to a warm morning today. After chores, breakfast and devotions I headed out on a short walk since my knees are feeling some better with the knee sleeves I am wearing all the time now.
As I walked I sweated in the already 80 degree temps. I thought it was supposed to cool off some but I guess not !!!
The signs of how dry the weather is around here are really starting to show. The pastures aren't growing their usual cool season grasses this year and are starting to look really parched.
Our lawn which hasn't needed mowing this week is starting to get a spattering of brown leaves covering it. Brown will be the main leaf color this season if we don't get some rain soon.

There was a flurry of these black butterflies that seemed to be following me around today. Some of them looked pretty ragged and some had much more color than others.

Hubbie's guord crop is coming along nicely this year.

I will surely miss all the pretty blooms when the cooler weather does arrive.

#2 son came to borrow a chainsaw to clear some large bushes from around his house on his day off today.
I decided to have an early lunch before baking cakes.
Just as I was finishing my stir fry that I made I heard a big boom and everything shut off !!  I knew instantly that another little squirrel had lost its life on our transformer. Sure enough I found him laying in the end of the garden with singed fur !!
After calling in the power outage I started to sweep and mop my floors but decided I couldn't see well enough in most places to make this worth while.
Instead I decided to take a vitamin D break and enjoy the excuse to rest a bit !!
In about an hour I hear the big power truck coming up the drive. They replaced the fuse and were gone in less than 15 minutes. I told him this was the 4th time this year that this has happened and he said that there should be a squirrel guard on this fuse but it had been left off mine. He sure didn't offer to put one on and when I asked him how I could get one put on he changed his tune and said they really didn't work anyway ?????
I came back inside and fired my ovens up to bake 2 pound and 2 chocolate layer cakes. I expect tomorrow will be a very slow day at market.
Hubbie came in from work and went straight up to church to help take down the big tent .
I did chores and then we sat outside and watched a beautiful sunset.
I did weekly paperwork and iced my cakes to finish the day out.
We got several drops of rain tonight from the tropical storm Julia that is hammering the coastal areas along both South and North Carolina with flooding rains as it stalls out off the coast.
As of August 31st we were half way through this years hurricane season and this was the storms up until that date.
Since then we have added 2 more named storms ,Ian who is no threat to any land and Julia .
Tonight the "Harvest Moon" was big and bright when it broke through the cloudy sky.
This moon will reach it's fullest on Friday night September 16.
As I sit here yawning as I finish this at 11:15 I'm off to bath and bed with humble appreciation to my Heavenly Father for the blessing of this day and looking forward to Him being with me as I begin again tomorrow.
God Bless and Good Night

1 comment:

linda m said...

i would be getting rather irritated at the power company about now. I'm sure there is something they can do to prevent this from happening. If the power line isn't near a tree couldn't you put your own squirrel guard around the pole. I know the squirrel guard works around my shepherd's hook to keep the squirrels out of my feeders. Blessings