Tuesday, July 18, 2017

GARDENING AND BAKING DAY AND SOME 1947 NEWS

Woke wondering how much rain we had overnight and was surprised to find only another 3/10ths inch in the gauge.
I got the chores done and had breakfast while waiting for the sun to dry some of the water off the grass and garden plants.
I took a much needed and missed morning walk today. As I breathed in the fresh morning air I thanked the Lord for the blessing of country living .
After I walked I headed to the garden to glean for vegetables. I picked almost 1/2 bushel of 1/2 runner beans to can. This should make another 7 quart run. I am also thankful for the few other vegetables I gathered as all the rain has put a halt to pollination and the production has really slowed down on most of the plants.
After I finished in the garden, and I felt like I sweated a gallon just easing along picking beans, I went over to the blackberry patch and managed to gather a bowl full of these sweet berries among all the soggy ones that fell to the ground as soon as I touched them.
I checked out our blueberries and found them inundated with very small red ants. Every ripe berry had at least a dozen of these little critters feasting on it !!! Note to self , next year I need to spread Spectracide under these bushes.
Back inside at almost lunch time I gathered my baking supplies and then had an early lunch. This is why I love summer , a delicious fresh from the garden summer lunch.
Since the g-daughter and g-son will be coming here tomorrow as other g-ma is on vacation I need to switch my baking day to today.
I baked 12 caramel, 3 chocolate, 1 special order chocolate / banana cake, 3 pound cakes and a peach coffee cake from a new recipe I found.
While the last ones were in the oven I cooked a banana filling to go in the special order. A regular customer brought me a recipe that looks really yummy for me to make a birthday cake for a friend of his with this filling. I tasted this filling and it was really good although the process of cooking it reminded me of watching my mother years ago making her old fashioned banana pudding. The constant stirring I certainly remember when I had at times had to take over while mother got pans lined with vanilla wafers or other small task in the kitchen. I had to laugh when I realized she never left the kitchen to do anything while I was responsible for the constant stirring !!!!
I had to go out to my insurance agents office to sign a couple re-writes on insurance policies and needed a gallon of milk from Ingles .
When I came back hubbie was weed eating ahead of a storm that was already bringing thunder and lightening very close.
The customer came to the house and picked up the special order chocolate / banana cake and after we had supper we went over to the old house that daughter and Josh are looking at to take care of g-daughter I while they went through their ideas for renovations with a friend contractor.
His estimate was less than I figured it would be but daughter had to drop a room she was wanting added on due to the location of an old well in that area.
We came home and hubbie broke the beans I picked this morning while I iced 6 caramel cakes then I worked more on my decade pics for this month.
The earliest news article I found for July xxx7 was this scrap book news about a doctor and all his sons opening a clinic as each son specialized in something different.

And last but definitely not least is g-daughter I's one month birthday today. She is growing like a weed and getting cuter everyday.
Thankful for the blessings of this day and striving to live each day to glorify His name.
God Bless and Good Night.



1 comment:

linda m said...

Oh, how I wish I had a garden like you do. All that fresh food for lunch looks so good. My yard is not suitable for a garden. Can't believe how big g-daughter I is getting. Blessings