Friday, December 28, 2018

MAJOR FLOODING

Every time I woke up through the night the rain was pouring and there was water everywhere this morning. The front yard laterally looked like a running river.
 I put off going out to get chores done until after I had breakfast and then waited for a break in the heavy rain to get outside.
All the animals just looked at me as of to say "you don't really expect me to come out in that do you?"
I snapped this picture of the already flooded lower pastures even this early in the day with the rain still coming down at a steady pace.



I had to have chicken feed today but the roads were all flooded between our house and Fletcher where I usually get my feed.  So instead hubbie and I headed out to Tractor Supply to get just one bag of each feed to tide me over until after New Years .
Traffic was horrid getting into town and a usual 15 minute drive took us 45 minutes with all the traffic funneled into the one road that isn't flooded.
We came back by Sam's Club and picked up our weekly groceries there and also stopped by Ingles for a couple things on the way home. The stores weren't crowded but the road certainly was.
By the time we got back to our place the water was hitting the bottom of the new bridge and still rising on all the fences.



Even this fence in front of #1 son's house was almost covered with water and this is the highest we have seen the water since they put in the new bridge.

Hubbie and I had a late lunch when we got back from town and then I started my baking. I baked 6 caramel, 4 chocolate, 2 pound cakes and 1 pan of brownies.
D-in-love came up with the kids and they played a while up here just wanting a change of scenery for a while.
Aa came by with feed for the cattle over here and hubbie went out with him to get them up on the hill as we suspect the fences are down after all the trash that has washed down with the flood waters this time.

After they left and I got the cakes all out of the ovens hubbie and I had about 30 minutes to rest and watch the early news before chore time.
At least it's not raining this evening as we went out to get everything fed and put in their overnight houses. The sunset was pretty as the clouds are just lifting enough for the last sunrays to shine through.
Many roads and businesses in town were flooded out today creating a mess for many.

The rain totals are historic for many places around our area and this rain pushed this year into first place for the most rain in any year since record keeping began.
This was my rain gauge this evening when the rain finally stopped. I dropped a pine needle on top of the water so you could see that it is over the 5 inch mark and up to the line under the Springfield name. So we probably are in the 5.39 range with Mills River.

Back inside I worked on icing my cakes and getting things ready for market tomorrow.
Hubbie and I both tried to sit and watch the 10:00 news but both of us yawned through it so we headed to bed.  We must not have slept as well as we thought we did last night.
Thankful for the blessings of this day .
God Bless and Good Night

No comments: